*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748899-On-the-road-again
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#748899 added March 14, 2012 at 8:12am
Restrictions: None
On the road again
The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.
~ Maya Angelou

My mother wants to go see what is in my grandmother's safe-deposit box. The box is in a bank that is located in my grandmother's hometown of Quitman, MS, around 100 miles from where we live now. I confess to some curiousity myself. When I was about eight years old, either I overheard or Memaw told me directly that she had a gold nugget in the box. It will be interesting to see whether it is there.

There were three first cousins who were close: my grandmother, Charlotte, and Sara Helen. Charlotte is the only one who is left. She is in a nursing home in the country out from Quitman. She is almost ninety years old and still in possession of her mental facilities, which is more than I can say for the rest of us. We will pay her a visit, of course. Charlotte never had any children, only one step-son. When Charlotte went to the "home" she gave her house to the step-son and his wife. The wife has put all of Charlotte's belongings in storage and gutted the house in order to remodel it, none of which Charlotte knows about. This has made me unutterably angry. I never liked the wife to start with. She talks though her nose.

A piece of trivia: a man named Wyatt Cooper grew up in Quitman. He became Gloria Vanderbilt's third husband (and last, I think). Goodness knows how they managed to meet each other. Wyatt Cooper died on the operating table in the late seventies. Anderson Cooper from CNN is their son. This gives me the big head with myself to have this connection, however small.


© Copyright 2012 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748899-On-the-road-again