*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748954-Idiot-Reviewers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#748954 added March 15, 2012 at 9:14am
Restrictions: None
Idiot Reviewers
Idiot Reviewers

I mentioned that I found these fantasy figures in a bag left from a trip to Atlanta. Also were the paints… Actually I paid a fair price for all these supplies, just to have them sit in a closet for three years, all but forgotten.

Anyway I bought a couple of cans of undercoat…one grey and one white. In the first box were twenty-four Elvin warriors with an assortment of weapons. (I.e. spears, bows swords) and sprayed one-half with grey and the other with white undercoat. Also I bought a kit of five dwarves manning this huge siege crossbow. That was cast in pot metal and I gave these a couple whiffs of the white primer. It is amazing how the details have emerged from this simple process. These are only one-inch figures and yet the detail is amazingly vivid.

While waiting for these to dry I dug from my desk drawer, a couple of cheap figures I bought for next to nothing and began experimenting with my paints. Using a water color technique learned long ago I began applying the pigment and the two figures seemed to come to life. One was porcelain and the other was plastic. The porcelain one had a white glaze applied when it was fired and the glaze had crazed with time. The pigment didn’t want to take and spread into surface in a most unanticipated manner… When it dried I sprayed some of the white undercoat and the effect was pretty cool. I am proceeding slowly with light washes but taking a white unfinished piece and using the simple techniques contained in the reference I got at the time, “How to paint Citadel Miniatures” the effect is very pleasing and much improved over what I started with.

Also in the Hobby shop…(I really ought to stay out of those places) were some radio controlled (RC) airplanes. As a kid I used to fly “Control Line” models and seeing the RC models fills me with a sense of awe and wonder. Well you wouldn’t believe what they have come up with. There is this program you plug into your computer that has the ability to adapt the flight controller of a flying model to the screen. You dial in the parameters of the model on the menu and a screen comes up that lets you virtually fly one with your outdoor controller. It is not a pilot’s view that you get but rather an outside view such as you have when you actually fly the model outdoors. What are they going to come up with next….? Maybe from the military technology one with a camera that will let you see and fly at extended ranges.

Today we are going to Eau Clair because Linda is invited to lunch with her reading group. They have read the “Hunger Games” and want to go see the movie when it comes out. I read the series and they must have been good because I bought books two and three and read them immediately.

I think this is the acid test if something is well written or not…. Do you want to read more and are you willing to part with your hard earned cash to do so. I remember reading a review once of a stage play that read something like this…. “Last Night I sat through a performance of “(Whatever it Was)” and it had me in stitches from start to finish. For a comedy that had a weak plot and showed me a mediocrity of acting talent, it kept me thoroughly amused.“

Now what is wrong with this review? I am sure you have all read some that remind you of this one….? I won’t even insult your intelligence by asking for a response.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748954-Idiot-Reviewers