*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749190-A-letter-to-my-Grandfather-Newland-in-paradise
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#749190 added March 19, 2012 at 9:42pm
Restrictions: None
A letter to my Grandfather Newland in paradise
March 19, 2012, Monday, Day 19 ~ 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is Write a letter to someone you care about.


Dear Grandpa Newland,

Today your only child is 91 years old. First, I want to thank you for helping her survive at birth. I never did ask you about everything you did to keep her, a premature baby, live though those cold Oklahoma winters. I know the years after Mom’s birth in 1921 were difficult. You kept my mother alive and encouraged her to be her own woman.

Mom inherited determination from you. She inherited her looks from Grandma. She passed on the stubborn determination to all four of her children. I want you to know that she gave us all encouragement when we needed it. Mom did her best and you can be proud of her.

I miss you, Grandpa. Mom misses you. Mom no longer remembers attending your memorial service. She believes that you and Grandma are still living in this world rather then in a heavenly paradise. She ask where you are and sometimes she cries because she cannot see you.

I told her that you sold the house in Blackwell. I told her that you and Grandma moved into a Senior Care Center that allowed the two of you to travel anywhere in the world you wanted. She accepted that at the time. When she again brings up the subject, I will repeat the story or tell her the two of you are traveling.

Mom does not remember that she is living in Las Vegas, Nevada; she believes she is living in Blackwell, Oklahoma. I have always suspected that, but Faye confirmed it today. When we visited Mom at the Adult Daycare Center today, she asked Mom where she was living and Mom told her Blackwell.

Grandpa, sometimes I think I am doing my best to take care of Mom and sometimes I am not sure. I want to thank you again for keeping Mom alive after she was born because you kept her alive your grandchildren and great grandchildren were born.

Your oldest Granddaughter,
Prosperous Snow

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer

© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749190-A-letter-to-my-Grandfather-Newland-in-paradise