*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749292-Motives
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(183)
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #1802477
Rosie moves to a new town and finds out the world isn't what it seems. Please review! :)
#749292 added March 21, 2012 at 2:17pm
Restrictions: None
Motives
Rosie sat at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of coco pops, lost in thought. She couldn’t stop wondering about what was going on at Amber’s house. Is Shane still there? What's now going on with Lorraine and Amber? Is James okay? Not that she cared if James was okay, but he had tried to save her life. That had to count for something, right? But that just led her to more confusion. Who does that make James? A good guy? Surely not... James is a vampire and I can’t trust him. It’s as simple as that... But what if it’s not, really?


Rosie shook her head in frustration and threw her spoon on the table. It skidded and fell onto the floor with a loud, metallic bang. Mum entered in from the living room. She took one look at the spoon, and then a look across at Rosie’s stressed face. “What’s the matter, Hun?” She asked worriedly, sitting down in the seat beside her.


Rosie looked up into her Mum’s tired face, and felt guilty again for almost leaving her. She wished more than anything she didn’t have to lie. She wanted to tell her Mum everything. Most importantly she wanted to give her the same hope she now had. To tell her that her daughter was still alive. Not safe, not okay, but alive.


“Nothing,” Rosie said quickly, looking back down at her half empty bowl. “I’m just tired, that’s all.”


Mum laid a warm hand over her cold one. “We both are, Hun,” she said softly. “I know you’re grieving for Amy, and that’s why you’ve been out of the house so much. We both are. I just want you to know I’m always here if you need me.”


“Thank you, Mum.” Rosie squeezed her Mum’s hand lightly, grateful for the comfort. “I love you.”


Mum’s brown eyes watered with emotion. “I love you too, my baby.” She opened her arms and Rosie fell into her loving embrace, feeling like a little girl again. Vulnerable, needing her mother’s protection. Tears left her eyes as she burrowed her head into her Mum’s soft cardigan. Mum stroked her hair gently, just like she had on the nights when she couldn’t sleep as a little girl, afraid the monsters were going to come and get her. It’s so ironic now that it isn’t even funny. “It’s going to be okay, I promise.”


Rosie nodded and slowly pulled away, wiping the tears from her eyes with the back of her hand. She knew Mum had meant to reassure her, but she knew that nothing would even be okay again, not really. Nothing ever would be, and that wasn't just because of Amy. She got up and dumped the bowl in the sink. She silently poured her Mum a cup of coffee, sugared and milked it, and placed it in front of her. Mum smiled gratefully and took a small sip.


“I’m gonna go get dressed,” Rosie said and kissed her cheek.


Rosie left the kitchen and quickly headed upstairs. She turned the handle to her room, and ran straight for her phone, which was now fully charged. She turned it on and checked her messages. Her worry intensified when there were no messages from Amber or Shane in her inbox. What’s going on? Curiosity and anxiety getting the best of her, she called Amber’s mobile.


It rang and rang before it went to voicemail. Amber’s pre-recorded voice came up, chirpy and happy, “Hello, you have rang my mobile, duh, and I’m not in reach, double duh. If it’s important, please leave a message and I’ll get back to you. Bye!” Rosie rolled her eyes in more frustration that she still couldn’t get a hold of her, and that no one had even tried to contact her with any kind of explanation!


When the answer phone beeped, Rosie said urgently, “Hey Amber, it’s me, Rosie. When you get this message can you get back to me A.S.A.P please? It’s really important. Okay? Bye.” She hung up the phone, and scrolled down her contacts for another number. She rang it.


Voicemail again. “Hello, you’ve reached Shane. I’m not available right now, so please leave a message or call back later. Thanks, bye.”


“Shane, its Rosie, call me when you get this.” Rosie threw her phone down on her bed and put her head in her hands. Again, she felt alone. She lifted her head and took a deep, calming breath. I can do this, I can wait. Someone will call me back. Rosie walked into her bathroom, brushed her teeth and threw some freezing water in her face. She still looked rough, and very, very tired. It felt like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders. And she kind of did. Well she had its secrets.


Rosie ran the shower and stepped in. She was glad for the warm water on her cold skin. She’d been feeling cold and detached all morning. She couldn’t stop thinking - about everything. There was also something else that was bothering her, a dream she’d had last night. Lost in a hallway, couldn’t feel anything, and a shadow. A shadow... It all seemed so strangely familiar, like she’d seen it all before. Rosie shook her head, letting the water spill all over her hair. She reached for the shampoo and cleaned up all the works of the night of the vampire house. She was going to kill Shane if there was any burnt damage in it.


When she’d finished showering, she stepped out, opened a window and put some loud music on in her bedroom. Anything to take her mind off of all the confusion. She put on fresh underwear and dried her chestnut hair. She put on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, a white vest, and a cropped, pink jumper. She combed through her wavy hair, and put on a layer of mascara and some pink lip-gloss. After she pulled on the grey uggs she barely ever wore and flopped back on her bed. Might as well study while I can. I will have to go back to school one day. It was a Saturday today, but she suspected Mum would most likely be sending her back on Monday. She wondered if Amber would be in trouble for skipping school three days in a row, and then there was Shane too. Not that it mattered as much for Shane; six formers pretty much just came and went whenever they wanted. It would be a different story for Amber.


Rosie had been lost in her English Language textbook when a small, white envelope flew in from her bedroom window. It landed at the bottom of her bed. Rosie stared at it, sitting there, moving slightly in the breeze, as if to remind her that yes, it was there. She caught sight of her name written in small, italic writing. Rosie. She put the book down beside her and leaned over to check. Yes that was definitely her name. Just like... Rosie sat back, terrified. It was the same handwriting as the note she’d received a couple of days ago. The one that warned her to stay where she was and not tell anyone. Though she had broke that by telling Amber just before they’d gone out to try and save Amy and Shane. The one that hadn’t had a name signed at the end of it.


Rosie reached over and picked it up with shaking hands. The envelope felt wrong in her fingers. It felt heavy, even though she knew there was only a small piece of paper hidden inside. She slowly undid the back, and picked up the fragile paper. It was the same handwriting inside too:


My Dear Rosie,


How are you doing? Had any interesting dreams lately? I can’t say I’m very pleased with you, as you have broken my warning. Never mind, we will see how things go. I’m sure there are a thousand questions flying through your pretty little head. Well I’m not an unfair person so I will allow you to talk to someone. And I don’t mean one of your friends, who really will not be good for you in the long run, Rosie. I will allow you to speak to an old friend of mine, James. I believe you may know him? He will speak with you what I’ve permitted him to tell you.


It won’t be long now, my beloved.


Sincerely,


Still going to have to wait.



Rosie dropped the paper like it had just caught on fire and scorched all of her fingers. She breathed heavily, heart racing in fear. Her mind dizzied with confusion. James... James knows this person? I was right all along, he is keeping a secret, and I could never trust him. But did that mean she shouldn’t talk to him? Of course I can’t. Don’t be so stupid! It was obvious that James had a motive and that he was dangerous. There was no way she was ever going anywhere near him again. That’s if he’s even still alive.


Rosie leapt up and picked up the note, tearing it up into tiny pieces, and throwing it angrily in the bin. She back tracked all the way to the far wall, as much distance from the bin as she could get, and then slumped down to a sitting position. She pulled her knees up and put her arms securely around them. Rosie stared at the bin as if the paper would rise out and magically fix itself back together. But it didn’t. She must have sat there for hours before she finally had the strength to function again. Must have leaned against that wall just thinking about whom this person is and what he could possibly want from a girl like her for a horribly long time. None of it made any sense, none of it.





“Rosie,” Mum’s loud voice called from downstairs. Rosie still sat against the wall, staring at the bin, but it was her Mum’s voice that shocked her out of her weird state. She numbly rose to her feet and walked the short distance into the hall.


Rosie looked out over the banister to see Amber stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking very uncomfortable. Rosie froze at the sight of her stood there. She didn’t look good at all. Even from a distance Rosie could see the dark circles under her eyes and the huge, blue-purple bruise that lay on the right-hand side of her jaw. Her hair was a mess around her suddenly fragile looking shoulders.


“Oh my god,” Rosie breathed, covering her mouth with both hands. That’s when Amber saw her, and looked up to the top of the stairs. She gave Rosie a weak smile that she thought Amber supposed to look comforting. But all it did was make her feel even more horrified.


She sprinted down the stairs, grabbing Amber in a tight hug, as tears formed in her eyes. “I’m so, so sorry,” Rosie said, squeezing her even tighter. “This is my entire fault.”


To Rosie’s surprise Amber hugged her back, and Rosie could feel the wetness from Amber’s own tears leaking into her jumper. “No, it’s not.”


Rosie pulled back, studying her face more closely. It looked even worse upfront, and she noticed Amber’s skin was also paler than usual too. Which was saying something because Amber was always pale. She had almost forgotten about her Mum’s presence until she said, “Amber would you like me to get you an ice park or something?”


Rosie turned, startled by her mother’s voice. Mum looked worried to say the least. She couldn’t seem to take her eyes off Amber’s bruise.


“No, thank you, Miss Parker.” Amber did her best to smile reassuringly.


“Mum, can you give us a minute please?” Rosie tried to communicate through her eyes that this was something that needed to be discussed alone. Mum, being the great Mum she’d always been, silently nodded, and respectfully went back into the kitchen.


Rosie took Amber’s hand and hastily pulled her up the stairs and into her bedroom. “What happened?” She asked, referring to Amber’s bruise.


Amber flinched. “Noth... Nothing.”          


“It sure doesn’t look like nothing,” Rosie said seriously. “Did your Mum do this to you?”


Amber looked down at the floor. “I deserved it,” she said quietly.


“What?” Rosie asked, astonished. “Are you freaking kidding me? Your Mum is nut job Amber. She tried to kill me last night!”


Amber didn’t look up. “I got in the way.”


“And what the f*** does that mean?!”


“It means what it means.”


“Amber,” Rosie said softly. “She tried to kill me. She hurt you. I don’t know how, but I’m not dead right now. Is that what you got in the way of?” Amber was still silent. “Tell me. Please.”


“I... you weren’t completely dead. You had a chance; all it took was a little push. A little of your breath back. It wasn’t that big of a deal. Mum just blew up, said I was interfering, ruining her plans.” Amber shrugged, trying to look nonchalant. “Then Shane came downstairs, got her off me. Took you home to your Mum. He told her you’d had a rough night, sad about Amy and ended up drinking too much, and passing out.” Amber looked up and met her shocked eyes. “It was the best he could do. I hope you didn’t get into any trouble?”


“No, Mum never said anything. But that is not what matters right now, Amber. What matters is your Mum tried to... No, she hurt you, Amber.” Rosie took her hand and squeezed it softly. “What about James? Did he...?”


Amber squeezed back lightly. “James is okay, a little pissed, but okay.”


Rosie nodded, not sure how she felt about that exactly or how he wasn’t dead. But then she didn’t know as much as she would like to about vampires. Or anything for that matter. Lorraine, James, the note, or even Amber. She still didn’t know much about Amber’s plans or motives, or James’s or Lorraine’s either. It was all just a big, bloody mess. Literally. But that didn’t matter right now either. What mattered is that Amber had saved her yesterday and got herself hurt because of it. That had to count for something, right? She remembered feeling that about James too just this morning. Rosie’s eyes flickered automatically to the bin, which still held the torn up pieces of paper. She shuddered.


Rosie pushed all thoughts of that out of her head. “Where’s Shane?” He was the only person Rosie felt stable or clear headed around lately.


“He’s with Lorraine and James.”


“He’s what?!” Shane being around two possible psychos didn’t make her feel so clear headed or at all stable.


“Shane stayed there to make sure they don’t try and kill each other again. Mum says it was self defence, that she acted out of fear for her life. James was threatening to kill her. And you were trying to help him...”


“I was what?” Rosie interrupted, dropping Amber’s hand like a burning rock. “I didn’t try and kill Lorraine, she tried to kill me!”


“That’s what James said. But it’s Mum’s word over his, and there are no other witnesses, Rosie.”


Rosie was truly taken aback. “You don’t believe me,” she said matter of factly. “You think I tried to hurt your Mum. Amber can’t you see who she really is? Just look at what she’s done to you. Look at how you found me.” Rosie shook her head. “The look in your Mum’s eyes should have been enough. She’s sick. And it’s becoming very clear that she knows just how to brainwash you.”


“I’m not saying you tried to hurt her! But with what’s happened on previous occasions you have nothing but motive to try...”


“Get out!” Rosie yelled. “Get out of my house, Amber.”


“Please, Rosie...”


“Get out,” she repeated sternly. “Talk to me again when you’ve cleared your head. I really hope one day you’ll stop acting like your mother.”


“Don’t say that. Rosie...”


“I said get out.” She couldn’t look at her anymore, afraid she wouldn’t be able to do this, wouldn’t be able to turn her back on her. On what remained of their strange, screwed up friendship. With her eyes firmly staring at the carpet, she said words she already regretted. “I don’t need your help anymore. I’ll figure things out. I think it’s best if we just don’t talk anymore.”


“If that’s what you want?”


“It is.”


“Okay then,” Amber said quietly, making Rosie’s heart ache with sadness. “I’m sorry. Goodbye.”


         
© Copyright 2012 Lillyrose (UN: lillyrose94 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lillyrose has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749292-Motives