*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749561-The-Template-Technique
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#749561 added March 25, 2012 at 8:01am
Restrictions: None
The Template Technique
Using the Template Technique in the Exploratory writing Workshop (EWW)

Well I did Chapter 3 last night of Essence and the Stone (E&S). The template approach is offering some unexpected side benefits. The purpose is to provide a guide and make sure I include the key features of a proven work. The additional and unanticipated spinoff is that it really gets my thinking jived to read both story chapters at the same time.

Let me explain. I pull up chapter 3 of the original ES rough draft and then read chapter 3 of Game of Thrones (GOT). I ask myself, “OK, what are the scenes and components in the GOT Manuscript?” I outline these at the top of the chapter second draft page and then add in any comments I might have. Then I paste in my ES chapter. “Now," I ask, "is my chapter including about the same word count, scenes and components?” Now realize the story lines are not even close and the two manuscripts are about as different as they could be. Plus my voice is much different and will never be close to the same as the template writer. Still there is a rumble of resonance, like firing up two cars side by side and listening to the engines rumble. Then I take the rough draft and start to polish and insert some of the components that are missing.

What I like about the GOT manuscript is that it is similar in several major respects. First is the large number of characters. This is a characteristic of E&S. Second is the way it hops from one geographical location to the next. I am learning a lot by studying the way GOT jumps around while still holding the interest of the reader. Third, when I see a component or a device I ask “is there a need for that in my chapter?” and if there is, I write in that part. I feel no need to follow the template closely but only to check to see if it contains something I might find useful.

I am thinking about reducing the number of vignettes I ask the students to write in the EWW from six to four. Then take the two lessons gained and do the template exercise I am using in the second draft. I’m excited about teaching this as a tool and think it has great utility in the development writing of a novel.

Yesterday I finished cleaning up the draft on Andromache which I’ll be sending to a contest. The only task left to complete is the cover page which is on a thicker card stock than the body pages. I am using an illustration that I have to take to Staples to get printed and then intend to mail it on Monday. It’s been over ten years since I wrote that Stage Play and it still sends shivers and gives me goose bumps. When it was read at the Playwright’s Center in Minneapolis the actress that read the Andromache part had to stop on several occasion to contain her emotions. I don’t know if it was the power of the writing (I wish) or if the poor girl was carrying some baggage. In any event I am convinced it is a good play and deserving of a little promotion.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749561-The-Template-Technique