*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/750066
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(183)
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #1802477
Rosie moves to a new town and finds out the world isn't what it seems. Please review! :)
#750066 added April 4, 2012 at 5:06pm
Restrictions: None
Forgiveness and Hate
Shane opened the car door for her like a perfect gentlemen. She flashed him a sheepish smile and tried her best to get somewhat gracefully out of the car. Their eyes met and they walked together up to the patio.


Shane turned to her and gave her a warm, comforting smile. “You going back to school tomorrow?”


“Unfortunately, yes.” Rosie sighed. “I have the joy of Mr Johnson first period.”


Shane laughed. “That man hates me.”


“Don’t we all know it? I swear he spits venom every time he see’s you.”


Shane grinned. “I’ll definitely miss him when I leave next year.”


“I know I wouldn’t,” Rosie muttered.


He chuckled softly and picked up the stone of the amulet from where it lay on her top. “It’s already taking care of you,” he said meeting her brown eyes. “You’re gonna need to take care of it too though.”


“I will,” she promised.


“Good.” Shane took a step closer and surprised her by wrapping her in a gentle and protective hug. “Stay safe, trouble.”


Rosie burrowed her head a little closer into his jacket. “I will.”


He stepped back and brushed a strand of chestnut hair from her face. “See you tomorrow.”


Rosie nodded and smiled. “See you tomorrow.”          


Shane started to walk back down the steps but paused and turned to face her. “Actually, do you think I could sweet talk your Mum into letting you come with me somewhere after school tomorrow?”


Rosie crossed her arms and tapped her foot. “You looking for an excuse to charm my Mum or take me out on a date?” She smiled playfully. “Where is this somewhere then?”


“Both, honestly. And that, nosy, would be a surprise.”


“I don’t like the surprises around here. They kind of suck.”


Shane laughed. Man, did she love that laugh. It was so full of life and happiness despite what horrors he’d been through. “I promise you this one doesn’t.” Shane blinked a few times and smiled sweetly. He looked so awfully cute when he did that that she had to catch her breath. “So, you in?”


Rosie just melted under those dazzling eyes, and again that cute, gorgeous smile. “Sure. But you have to ask my Mum.”


“Deal,” he said. “You will be impressed. I have excellent parental skills.”


“Aha. Your family seems to.”





“Miss Parker, what a pleasure it is to see you again.” Rosie fought the unbearable urge to have a laughing fit as Shane turned the charm on her Mum. Amber was polite and charming, but Shane just took it to a whole new level. One that was verging on butt kissing and complete unrealism.


“Shane,” Mum said warily. She was still firmly set on the idea that they were dating. And with the absence of Dad, Mum seemed to think she had to be even stricter when it came to guys. Not that there were ever any guys with her before... or now for that matter. Rosie sighed. My dating life is pathetic. And even if I did have an actual dating life, I’m sure guys that look like Shane wouldn’t be in it. Four words: out of my league.


Rosie automatically lifted her hand to the amulet that was hid under her top. She could feel the beautiful, amethyst stone, and in a small way she could feel its power. She identified it as the feel of the necklace, and the way it shone in the light and most obviously the sheer look of the jewellery in all. It was truly breathtaking and looked like it should be in a royal museum somewhere in another world. But no, it lay comfortably on her skin, making her buzz with excitement and fear all at the same time. Both feelings came from Shane and what this gift really meant. Well, it’s that which confused her. Does it mean he just cares about me as a friend or something more? Would you give this to someone who didn’t mean something big to you? No. Yes. No...


“Rosie.” Mum’s voice shocked her out of her thoughts.


She blinked. “Yes Mum?”


“Shane was just asking if he could take you out somewhere tomorrow.”


“Am I allowed?”


“Well... that depends,” Mum said slowly, eyeing Shane as he stood there and grinned at her. Rosie had to fight the urge to laugh again. “Do you want to? You don’t have to.” Mum’s voice quietened, “Remember what I told you about never letting boys pressure you, Hun.”


“Mum, Shane’s not like that. He’s a great guy, and really, there is nothing going on.” Rosie raised her voice to a more normal volume, “I’d actually love to go to this strange surprise he would like to show me. I won’t be gone long. Right Shane?”


“Um... No, no. I assure you I’ll have her home after dinner.”


Mum gave them both a firm look but sighed in defeat. “Fine, but you better take good care of my little girl, Shane.”


Rosie felt her cheeks heat with embarrassment. Seriously Mum, little girl? Are you trying to kill me?


Shane gave her an amused glance, and then turned a respectful smile on her Mum. “I will take good care of your little girl.”


“Okay then, I don’t see why not. But it’s getting late so you better be going home now.” Mum gave him a small smile and opened the door. “I like you Shane, but I’m watching you.”


Shane laughed. “All right, Miss Parker. Goodbye, Rosie.”


“Bye,” Rosie said as Mum basically threw him out the door.


As soon as the door was closed, Rosie scolded, “Mum, you could be a bit friendlier? And also “It’s getting late so you better be going.” It’s still early afternoon. For god’s sake.”


“Nope, not with a boy like that. It’s perfectly necessary.” Mum shrugged. “A guy with arms like that, and a face like that, is a lady-killer, honey. And that’s not even mentioning the mystery of him. Beware.”


“Oh god, Mum, seriously?”          


“Watch out, I dated a boy like that when I was your age.”


“And who was that?”


“Your father,” Mum said and left the room.          





The class was silent as Amber walked through the door. She was wearing an oversized black hoodie and her head was bowed vulnerably. Rosie couldn’t see her face, but she knew it would be pale with the same or more brutal bruises.


Amber walked quickly and slumped down in the seat beside her. She didn’t look up.


Mr Johnson gave one of his famous cold stares, and said bitterly, “How nice it is of you to finally join us, Miss Fenty.” He hissed Amber’s name so viciously, Rosie flinched. She’d never heard that kind of hate in anyone’s voice before. “I assume you’ll be seeing the headmistress about your lack of attendance this week.”


Amber looked up and her hood dropped enough for Rosie to see the dry redness of her eyes. She looked at Mr Johnson with a blank look but Rosie knew by her tense body language that she was pissed and angry. When she spoke it sounded nothing like the Amber she knew, “Sorry, I’ve been having some family troubles.” Amber’s eyes flashed a vibrant blue. When she smiled Rosie felt a chill course through the room, and she saw that the other students were shivering and staring.


“Is that where those bruises came from, Amber? I see even your own family can’t even stand you.” Rosie gasped at the cold comment, and then looked back at Amber fearfully. Like she suspected, Amber’s eyes were flashing even brighter sparks of the most powerful, breath catching blue you’ve even seen.


“Amber, don’t...” Her pleading voice was cut off by the teachers pained groan, followed by him clutching his throat as water spilled from his mouth. He’s drowning, Rosie realised with a shock of pure horror. Mr Johnson dropped to the floor, trying to gasp for air behind the torrents of clear blue water that were flooding from his mouth. She knew Amber was using her affinity for the Water element to do this to him. It reminded her of what Lorraine had done to her a few nights ago, just without the water. And she remembered that had almost killed her.


“Stop!” Rosie yelled. “Amber, you’re better than this.” Amber didn’t acknowledge her presence at all; she just stared at the teacher. The control in her eyes was terrifying. “Remember who you are,” she whispered. “I know it’s not this person.” She raised her voice, screaming to get through to her, “You’re not your mother!”


Amber closed her eyes and Rosie saw the tears spill down her cheeks. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered, and then pulled her hood fully back over her head.


Weirdly, Mr Johnson just got up and carried on teaching the lesson. Rosie looked around at the other students, they were listening and passing notes like nothing had even happened. But she did see that the look of hate in Mr Johnson’s eyes was a lot more intense than usual.


After the bell rang for second period, Rosie pulled Amber out of the classroom and waited for the students in the hallway to disappear. When they’d all finally gone, she said, “Amber, talk to me.”


Rosie stood before her in the empty hallway. Amber’s bowed head was covered by her black hoodie and she actually felt like she was talking to an ignorant tree. “You know, it’s not like I even have to bother. I’m supposed to be mad at you.”


“Then why are you here?” Amber asked quietly.


Rosie sighed and shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess a very stupid part of me cares about you.”


Amber shook her head. “No one cares about me. Not really.”


“I care about you,” she said softly. “If I didn’t I promise you I wouldn’t be here.”


Amber laughed but it sounded all wrong and hurt. “You just want your sister back. You’re a smart girl, Rosie. Keep it up; you might just get what you want.”


“You know what, yes, I want my sister back. But do you know what else I want back?” Rosie paused and waited for Amber’s answer. When it didn’t come she continued, “I want my friend back. That girl I met the first day of school. The one that was so kind and cried to me about her Dad. I want the Amber with feelings back.” She took a step forward and pushed Amber’s hood back, revealing a pale face and tear filled blue eyes that were their right human colour, not magic personified. “I’m not going down without a fight.”


“You should.”


“I know.” Rosie smiled.


A tear escaped down her cheek and Amber wiped it away angrily. “God, I’m so sorry about what I said. Can you forgive me? Please?”


Rosie tapped her shoulder and felt tears come to her own eyes. “Yes, I forgive you. But we’re going to have to learn a thing or two about trust. Shane was right; we’re as bad as each other.”


Amber rolled her eyes, looking more like her old self again. “Shane’s a d-bag, but maybe this once he was right.” She sighed, but a smile still crept upon her lips. “Okay, okay. I really need to get a hold of my anger, don’t I?” Rosie nodded and Amber took a deep, calming breath. “They shouldn’t remember anything, I spelled them all.” She ran her fingers through her dark hair and shook her head, as if furious with herself. “Let’s do this. Let’s deal with the mess our lives have all become.”


“Any suggestions on how we do that?” Rosie asked.          


“Nope, not really. But I guess we start with finding Amy. Again. But this time way more successfully.”          


“Actually, I have something I need to do first.”


Amber raised her eyebrows and gave her a suspicious look. “Is this something dangerous?”


Rosie felt her hand drift to her shirt where the protective amulet lay hidden underneath. She couldn’t help but smile a little. “I have a feeling I’ll be okay. I promise you, okay?”


“Sorry, no,” Amber said stubbornly.


Now it was Rosie’s turn to role her eyes. “I’ll be okay! I double promise. You’re not my mother; I’ve already got one of those. Oh, and that reminds me, we have to talk about Lorraine. Sooner rather than later.”


“Okay,” she said miserably.


“Good. Now I really gotta go.”


“Wait!” Amber said, making her pause on her way towards the double doors that led out into the cloudy courtyard. “You’re ditching? I thought you were Miss Goody Two Shoes? And where the heck are you going?”


“One, I am ditching. Two, I am not Miss Goody Two Shoes. And three, I can’t tell you. You’re just going to have to let me go.” Rosie put her hand out to shush her before Amber could protest again. “Just tell Mrs Carter that I had to go home because I got too upset to cope, okay?” Before Amber could answer again this time, Rosie flashed her a guilty smile and, while pushing open the huge doors said, “Thanks. Don’t tell Shane. Love you, bye!”


© Copyright 2012 Lillyrose (UN: lillyrose94 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lillyrose has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/750066