*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/750750-This-ones-about-the-art-of-creation
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#750750 added April 11, 2012 at 7:45pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the art of creation.
THE PROMPT: "Has music ever inspired you to write or to create?"

Happy Wednesday, fine purveyors of this webpage! It's been a good day so far...let's see how I can keep it goin', shall we?

For a music nerd like me, this should be easy, no? But it's not. See, there's a fine line walked when it comes to music and creation. Back in the day when I wrote poetry at the drop of a hat, I always had beats and rhythms and melodies in mind. There are certain poems I've written years ago that when I reread them now, I can still hear the music I created in my head to support them. Mind you, it was all original music, and not just the knockoff of a drumbeat or bassline that I was patterning my rhymes after.

Music has always been inspiring to me, because I surround myself with it nearly constantly. Obviously it plays a role in what I do here in the non-confines of my blog, but I'm going to post a few examples right out of my portfolio that I can clearly remember being influenced directly because the muse was playing my song on her fancy jukebox.

*Star*"big smart rock jerk

The finger smudges of several bands are all over this one. It's not a song, it's not lyrics, but there are lines in it that were cultivated over repeated listens to bands like Radiohead, Jimmy Eat World, and Flickerstick.

*Star*"Proper Condemnation

I was really beginning to fall in love with Radiohead at the time this was created, soaking up every last thing I could (legally or otherwise) get in my ears. I may have ripped off a little from them here, but I prefer to call it "incidental contact". I was listening to them so much, and writing when I wasn't listening, so they were bound to rub off.

*Star*"I Will Not Look Heartbreak In The Eyes

I went through my Morrissey phase, but this could've been sung by Sinatra if he lived to be 127 years old and crooned like he was 25.


Those certainly aren't maybe the best representaions of all that I've created while under the influence of song. And there's almost no end to the musicians I've taken cues from...Pearl Jam, Radiohead, The Get Up Kids, Taking Back Sunday, Our Lady Peace...just to name a few that have really had an impact on what I've been able to work through my brain's filters and let it out via ink and/or computer keystrokes.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Here's a few clips of interest in regards to how I hear something and let it percolate creation inside me...

Maybe my most favorite Radiohead song of all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFXozUCW6wc

I was a fan of writing from two points of view in one piece for awhile. I got that from Taking Back Sunday...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZBvUV3s2g

Everyone claims inspiration from the Beatles. I do as well, but moreso in the post-Sgt. Pepper era...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2Vdcv9Q_o

VITAL STATS:

*Cart* My boss, who'd been out of work the last week because her knee hurt or something like that, came back today. She said something about not being able to afford taking the appropriate time off to heal. I suggested we take up a collection for her around the store. She was definitely not amused. There was a lot of cursing, and I believe she even threw something at me. *Smirk*

Well, I'm off to take care of a few things around here and then see what you folks are up to. Hopefully gonna make it an early night. I know, I know, I say it all the time, but one day it'll happen. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-w2wgceXUE

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/750750-This-ones-about-the-art-of-creation