*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751520-Rainy-Days-and-Sundays-Always-get-me-Down
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#751520 added April 23, 2012 at 8:04am
Restrictions: None
Rainy Days and Sunday's Always get me Down.
Rainy Days and Sunday’s Always get me down.

A friend of mine (I‘ll call him Larry) who drives a semi came home last week and saw all these rescue vehicles in his driveway. His wife had died between her flower garden and the compost heap. He’s been taking it pretty hard and I’ve stepped in to help where I can. Having buried my parents in the past five years taught me a lot about funerals. He is an emotional guy and taking it pretty hard. The good news is he is surrounded by a strong support group. His wife was a good friend with an attribute that Linda has… the ability to make me laugh. It’s a talent I appreciate because I don’t always have a lot to laugh about. Anyway, when we are talking Larry will suddenly become overwhelmed with grief. I suppose that is better than holding it all inside.

Yesterday I went to an RC model show in Marshfield. The president of our club was trying to sell some of his models and I bought one on the promise he help teach me to fly it. Despite the bad experience with the glider I suspect that I will master that phase of the training cycle and move on to powered, third person flight. (That is flying from the ground watching the airplane fly). My goal is First Person (pilot) view as I have mentioned in previous blogs. When I crashed the glider the battery went flying and hit a cement wall. It isn't working too well. I need to get a new one and hope that the battery is the problem and not some of the more expensive components.

Earlier we went to church and found out what is needed from the ladies who will be serving the dinner after the service. Then Linda and I are making sure the rest is provided for. I’m better at the logistics of things than the comforting part.

Today we have to get busy on the yard. Linda will drive the riding lawnmower while I follow behind with the pusher making sure we get the spots she can’t get to. Then we need to rake up all the debris around the splitter and burn it in the wood stove. There is quite a bit and that will take a while. Also parts of the split rail fence that blew down this winter need to be set right. My tracto'rs fuel line is leaking and that’s something else on the agenda. I pinched it off with vice-grips but need to splice in a repair section.

At noon is the funeral at the church. Larry has decided to take the urn after the memorial service and walk solemnly down to the cemetery and place the remains in the post hole. Not the course I would have adopted, but if it brings him some peace of mind and closure its fine with me. After that I think we’ll go to Stephens Point and do the grocery shopping.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751520-Rainy-Days-and-Sundays-Always-get-me-Down