*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751576
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#751576 added April 24, 2012 at 12:39am
Restrictions: None
Do we have only one political party with two wings
In response to a facebook post, a foray into how our political process works:

If the US had a multi-party system with runoffs (if no one gets 50%) I would agree with third party votes. The problem is that the winner is either going to be the right-wing of the Repub-Demos or the center wing of the Demo-Repubs. On the national level ...that is the choice. Like it or not. Libertarians and Liberals are not in control of either wing. Obama was one of the few recent presidents elected with over 50% of the votes. The next prez could be elected by a minority again ...and that does not bode well if his supporters are not inclusive...


I truly think that people have a choice between fascism-light and fascism-heavy. Putting someone in office who would make Mussolini proud simply because your pouting over the more moderate choice seems short sighted to me. Liberals have legitimate issues with Obama. Libertarians have legitimate issues with Obama. Both need to scream at Congress. One can't lead if the American people don't want you to lead and Congress has been obstructionist to the max.

For some people the opposition would be better. But for others it would be cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Are you: poor? Do you really think someone whose family has been millionaires for two or more generations really feels your pain? As in trickle-down ...do you feel that trickle down your leg? How about female? Do you understand the role of women in some religious groups? Do you want men making decisions for you? Gay? Do you want to be stripped of all first-class-citizen rights? Black? Are you happy that some other group will be a targeted scapgoat this time? Do you really think rich-white folk have your best interests in mind? Spanish-speaking? Which is the party of English only? Not to mention the New Berlin Wall across the Mexican border? Prez. Bush at least didn't cave in to the extremists. Foreigner? Bush's legacy was a disaster on the international front. Do you really want to see an isolationist America or one that rattles sabers? Non-Christian? Welcome to the Christian Republic of America where there's no separation of church and state.

I might not be thrilled at the current status of America. But I can assure you it can get much worse.

Please notice that I don't mention the economy much. That's because I can deal with poverty. No health insurance? Not so easy. No rights to follow my religion or speak my language? Impossible. No rights at all unless I adhere to a group of Christian leaders telling me how to live my life? Sounds so much like the political system of Iran...

And I'd be dead there.
235

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751576