*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752316-Euphemisms
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#752316 added May 12, 2012 at 8:06pm
Restrictions: None
Euphemisms
Euphemisms

One of my goals for this weekend is to be caught up on Book 2, Clash of Kings, which is the second of a three part book written by George Martin. I really like the way it is written even though it is a bit outside the window of conventional writing wisdom. Martin’s books contain an earthy sort of sensual prose that is almost “clinical.” There is no aspect of the physicality of intimacy that he fails to include, however it is lacking in the spiritual aspect. By spiritual I mean how the crudeness of the various acts is redeemed by a hormonal euphoria that raises the base to the sublime. He sticks to a stark imagery keeping the reader aware of what is happening while showing some restraint once he feels the scene is grasped by the reader.

I met an RC modeler who is interested in First Person View flying. He invited me over to his house and showed me a shop full of models. He had just undergone a divorce and is still suffering the transition. The things we take for granted… Unfortunately “love” does just not simply take wing and the relationships we form go deep and painful recollections remain long after. I know I take my marriage for granted at times but I try and find ways to include my wife in certain common activities. I know that sounds like a dreadful and sterile characterization but a husband and wife need to tend the bonds they share as the heat begins to taper off. What a marriage is left with is hopefully two people who still like one another enough to find and share common interests outside the bedroom…. Not that that ever stops altogether. Why am I talking about this? Because I felt my new friend’s pain… it was like a cloud of oppression and while I tried to be a supportive caring human being… was glad when it was time to come home.

Linda and I will be going to our grandson’s graduation in Kansas next week. How the time flies. We had to make sure our dogs have the right immunizations to get admitted into the Kennel (Spa?) One lady was holding a dog that I suspect had “Anaplasmosis” which is a tick born disease. She was crying and I suspect the dog was about to get euthanized (Put down). We use a lot of euphemisms (put down, spa) these days to cushion the jolts and hard reality of life. I hate to think about losing my dogs but have been through that as all pet owners must.

Today I will be working in the shop and yard cleaning things up. I got the split rail fence fixed and the tractor is running fine now. It is overcast and rainy and cold outside. A great day to curl up with a book, but that kind of luxury can be habit forming and there is a long task list that goes with living in the country.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752316-Euphemisms