*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752613-Heart-Attack
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1302157
My blogging here
#752613 added May 9, 2012 at 10:01pm
Restrictions: None
Heart Attack!
I am very lucky to be able to say that I am still here.*Smile* I had the heart catheterization as scheduled on April 24 th. My cardiologist was able to insert a stent into the right front artery of my heart. It was 95% blocked. It seems he had quite a challenge as my arteries are smaller than normal. The catheter tore the artery wall after the stent was inserted. That sent me into a heart attack! I remember the pain but I was so sedated that I did not really know what was happening. My cardiologist had to repair the tear and insert another stent over the repaired area of the artery. I was actually taken into the heart lab twice and cathererzied twice! He wanted to be sure that everything was okay.
It was no cake walk, but two stents later I was able to go home the following day. One of the first things I noticed was that I could take deep breathes. That was something that I was not able to do after years of smoking. I was able to get my appetite back and my strength came back slowly after about a week. I am on the road to healing and I will begin a cardio-rehab program down in Mount Vernon next Tuesday.

I was fortunate enough to be in such a wonderful hospital - PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center in Bellingham, Washington. The cardiologist who did the procedure on me was an international expert and I am lucky to have had him taking care of me.

All of this heart stuff is new for me and it is taking sometime for me to wrap my head around it all. I have always been healthy most of my life. Especially during my senior years. Now, I am dealing with the reality of it all. I am glad that I chose to quit smoking a year and a half ago. That has helped I am sure. I am also sure that it caused most of my coronary artery disease, though.

Tomorrow I go for a echocardiogram to find out if there was any damage done from the heart attack. I am hoping I am fine there.

I look forward to getting back into a daily routine of exercise and we sure could use a vacation after all of this!


** Image ID #1819819 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2012 ShiShad (UN: shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ShiShad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752613-Heart-Attack