*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752666-This-ones-about-how-time-walks
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#752666 added May 10, 2012 at 8:59pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about how time walks.
THE PROMPT: "May 10 - Oh, how time flies.

Good evening everyone...what up?? Happy May 2024! has a nice little entry today about how time flies, and how we tend to have to put the things we enjoy the most aside for things that we really need to take care of. And she ends her entry beautifully, like it should be on a motivational poster or something, with a picture of a mountain and a lion cub.

And we've all played the victim been in the situation where "time flies when you're havin' fun", but today I've stumbled across something a little more profound than the overused cliche. I have discovered just how time walks. *Shock*

We're a 3-driver (+1 in training) household, with two cars to go around. Now, I don't need to have a doctorate in Calculus to tell you that if you don't plan things accordingly, transporting everyone around properly can get a little tricky at times. Sometimes lateness occurs. And occasionally, some get left behind.

Yesterday I told you all about my workday ("This one's about today. for those who need a refresher but are too lazy to scroll down). Well, today was pretty much the same thing, only I was one of the lucky ones who had to be in at 5:45 this morning to physically unload, and then put away, our delivery. I must mention that I was not alone in this early morning tomfoolery (nods at Julie D - PUBLISHED! ). And it's a damn good thing I bothered to look at my schedule the day before, or I would've assumed I was just coming in at 8am.

Needless to say, this jumbled up the ride situation a little bit. justjessica1 was working 8am-4:30pm in an area we call "The Southtowns", or, like anyplace else around here, 20 minutes away. If I was 8am-4pm, I'd just let her drop me off and wait a little bit for her to pick me up (since her son has the other car for school/internship). But due to the incompetent nature of my schedule-keeping, coupled with the boy's internship hours, she would have to drop me off earlier and I'd have to fend for myself for a ride home (or wait three hours after my shift for her to come get me...not happenin', y'all).

But there was no one available to go out in my direction. Luckily, it was a sunny day. It was warm enough to rock a hoodie and be comfortable. I decided, "Fuck this, I'mma walk home!" So I did.

Let me do a little of the geography for ya. I work on the border of a town (Cheektowaga) and a village (Depew). I live on the border of Depew and Lancaster, just past the line in Lancaster. According to Mapquest and the route I took, it's a nine minute drive (give or take, depending on traffic and time of day) and approximately 3.88 miles. It wasn't a bad walk, actually. Only had to cross three busy intersections. The bulk of the journey was spent on the main road I work on, and after cutting over, I spent the rest on the road I live on. Easy enough. Approximate time of walking travel? One hour, twenty minutes.

Hmmm...nine, or 80? I prefer nine, even if I did have the wind at my back. But it was nice. Kinda head-clearing in a way. Even if it practically negated me punching out at 2pm instead of my normal 4pm. Even though I had just worked eight hours, and spent the early part of the day lifting numerous things (large and small), including about 50 24-packs of bottled water. Even if we were down another person again today, and I was on my feet for damn near all of my shift. Even though I had to poop pretty fantastically about halfway through my journey (oh my gawd...it's May 10th...10 days into this challenge and no poop references? I must be maturing! *Smirk*). Truth is, it was some exercise. Would I've preferred it on a day at work where the physicality isn't as demanding? Yes. But what the hell. I did it, and it wasn't so bad.

I guess the moral to this story is: know your schedule or walk home, sucka.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

The only thing that really sucked about that walk? Around the same time Jess made it to work, I realized I should've either grabbed my iPod, or at the very least the headphones I have for my Blackberry. A long walk without music is just that...a long walk.



VITAL STATS:

*Thumbsup* It's a Taco Bell sponsored break time; I'll be right back. (And shhhh, Bonnie14222 about how bad it is for my ticker. Did I mention I put over four miles on these two legs today? *Laugh*) K, I'm back.

*Smartphone* Great. Now not only do you all have Brother Nature 's late-nite hotline, but you've got my basic coordinates too. It's BYOB in this house, Bonnie14222 . *Wink*

*Check* Lotta name-checkin' in this entry. I either gotta stop doin' that, or do it all the time. Time...there's that damn word again!

Alright, gonna move along for the evening. If tomorrow was part two of my delivery day drama, tomorrow might be part two of my scheduling drama, as I'll have to be up at 5:30am again tomorrow, only this time to have Jess to work by 6. Well, what's a boy to do? Peace, love and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752666-This-ones-about-how-time-walks