*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752835-Chapter-6
Rated: 18+ · Book · Dark · #1867565
???????????????????
#752835 added May 14, 2012 at 3:51am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6
Chapter 6





         Kyra Jennings walks out the front door, down to the curb to retrieve the paper, glances at her neighbor’s house. Jimmy sat on the front steps pouting and looking very depressed.





         “Jimmy, what’s wrong?”





         “Hi Ms. Jennings.” Jimmy says in a quiet tone. “Mom, just told me that she can not take me to the concert the day after next.“





         “What concert?“





         “I have tickets to see Savan and now I find out I can’t go. What am I going………….” Sighs heavily and puts his chin on his hand.





         “Sell them on eBay.”





         “I would not be able to mail them out in time before Friday.”





         “I am sorry.“  Kyra apologizes to the kid and begins to walk away but suddenly turns back.





         “Can your friends not go with you?”





         “NO.” Jimmy sighs heavily. “They’re out of town on vacation.”





         “Oh, I’m sorry.”  She takes a step to the house…..”What time is the concert?”





         “7:30”





         “See you at five then.”





         “What?”





         “I’ll take you.”





         “Thank you Ms. Jennings but I can’t ask you to.”





         “Please call me Kyra…….. I’d cherish the opportunity to see them.”





         “Thank you, Ms………..Kyra.”





         She goes back into the house, walks into the kitchen and plops in a chair………… What did I get myself into? She asks herself. Then she thought of the prospect of seeing the band.


         


         She imagined the venue the band was to play two days from now. It was on the small side because it was on the college campus although it was a multi-level arena. There were coliseum type seating, the ground floor level, level two, and one level up to what was termed the “nosebleed section”, which was the highest level.





         She imagined how crowded it would be and all the people being the typical idiots that you‘d find at any concert. She was not looking forward to being pushed and shoved around in the throng of excited anticipation of the show to come.





         Then she settled down to read the paper. She opened the paper skimmed through it but on page two of the Life & Arts section, an article caught her eye. It was about the band she was taking the boy to see. It seemed to be a review, if you will, of their previous live performances. There was a picture of the band on stage and one of the vocalist or front man. It was a close up shot of him singing… his long brownish red hair was tussled about and hanging in his eyes but the picture gave her enough site of him so that she thought, Damn! He must have the girls hanging all over him. He is sexy! But Kyra could not get the picture out of her mind…………





         Just then her house mate, a male Senegal Parrot, said in clearly spoken words, “I Love You”. She dropped her jaw and with the phrase ringing in her ear, she fell into a dream.





         The kitchen fell away, all she could see then was blackness, a pitch-black, formless void. The pitch then became bright and blinded her. When the light dissipated and she could see again…………..





Kyra was back in her kitchen, sitting at the table, looking through a week’s worth of mail. Something was wrong with the picture. She could not figure out what it was. Everything was the same, nothing had changed but it still felt wrong.





Maybe she went on vacation but she knew she hadn’t. Still she felt an air of eeriness, as if something was different. Then she heard a soft pattering of feet moving toward her. She became apprehensive with the prospect of physical harm befalling her, being she did not lock the front door.





The soft pattering footsteps stopped just behind her.  Doom was upon her but she felt peaceful, not at all scared as she had expected she would.





         Her vision slowly faded to black as the kitchen fell away………..receding as though the picture had been zoomed out.


© Copyright 2012 Korath Mindsthrall (UN: vivienthompson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Korath Mindsthrall has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752835-Chapter-6