*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753958-Chapter-16-Famous-Last-Words-Nick
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1864211
A series I wrote that is loosely based on Twilight about Wolf Shifters
#753958 added June 1, 2012 at 11:14pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 16: Famous Last Words Nick
Chapter 16: Nick

They all saw right through me. I might as well have been invisible. If I disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow no one would even remember me. I couldn't wait until I graduated high school, got into a good collage and became the next Bill gates or Mark Zuckerberg. Then they would all be sorry. Sorry they didn't talk to me. I would have a million friends, and more women then I knew what to do with and all of them would go one with their normal minimum wage lives. I was going to be somebody. I was no longer going to be their chump. I would show them that I was more than just a butcher's son.
"Hey chump!" Darrius was stumbling down the stairs, his eyes glossy and his eye lids hung low. Yup, he's drunk again. I thought. I was always used to it, it was part of being the football team's "assistant". I was just a chaperone and designated driver.
"All right fellas, I got to go, my ride is here. I'm out!"
He gave a couple uncoordinated hi-fives to two other random drunks and then walked toward me. He threw his arm around me, which threw him off balance and I nearly fell over from his heavy body weight. He dug in his pockets pulled out his keys, lifted them up to his face to make sure he pulled the right object out of his pocket and place them in my hand. I handed them back.
"I have a car Darrius. How do you think I got up here, stupid?"
"I maybe drunk, but I am not stupid. If the coach finds out that I have been drinking again then I am off the team, again. I'll send somebody to pick up your piece of shit tomorrow." The smell of heavy alcohol and vomit turned my stomach. I wanted to throw up myself.
"You are such an ass, Darrius!"
"You ever driven a Mustang?"
"Trying to compensate for something?"
"You shut your mouth! I have had no complaints."
"Is that why your girlfriend dumped you?"
He smacked. "Man, Sorrell's issue is she is too uptight, about everything. And I mean everything!"
As I helped Darrius get in the passenger seat of his burnt orange Mustang, I couldn't help but wonder why the biggest assholes were the most popular. I wondered if I should be more like Darrius. As I got in the driver's seat I studied the disheveled "star quarterback" sitting next to me with the vomit stained blue Polo shirt.
"What the hell are you looking at?"
I put the key in the ignition, started the car and headed away from the two story house secluded in the woods. I decided to tinker with Darrius's radio, but as soon as I hit the on switch the volume was turned all the way up.
"Seriously?"
I turned it off.
"Sorry! I am surprised you still have ear drums."
"Just be quiet the rest of the ride."
I kept quiet and kept driving. Five minutes went by when the car started to sputter and slow down. I stopped and turned off the car. Darrius shot up.
"What did you do to my car Nick?"
"Nothing." I turned the key and it whined but didn't turn over. "Don't you put gas in your car?"
"What?" Darrius sprang up and looked at the dash.
"What did your rich parents forget to tell you that your car needs gas?"
"Can't you call somebody?"
"Can't you call somebody, Mr. Popular?"
"Nobody is supposed to know that I was out here. If I could have called somebody, do you think I would have called you?"
It was already dark and we were in the middle of nowhere in the woods.
"Alright, where is your gas can?"
"In the trunk!"
"You owe me big time for this."
I found the trunk release on the side of the seat. I got out , found the red gallon gas container, and headed down the long stretch of dark road hoping that the gas station was not too far. At least the moon was full and lighting my way.

© Copyright 2012 Misty Crade (UN: babydoll_y2g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Misty Crade has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753958-Chapter-16-Famous-Last-Words-Nick