*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753957-Chapter-15-Sunday-Morning-Sorrell
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1864211
A series I wrote that is loosely based on Twilight about Wolf Shifters
#753957 added June 1, 2012 at 11:13pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 15: Sunday Morning Sorrell
Chapter 15: Sorrell

"Wakey, wakey, eggs, and bakey Cici."
I woke up to a familiar face, that I had not seen for a week. I lazily smiled, with half my face submerged in my pillow. "Russ."
"You're not dressed yet?"
"I had to work late at Charlotte's Russ, just give me another hour."
Russ pulled back the covers and slid into bed with me and pulled the covers up around us. Something we had done since we were kids, when one of us was having a bad day. Because we were twins, we were always in tune with each other. He wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on my shoulder.
"Talk to me Cici!"
"What do you mean?" I turned around in bed to face him. The first think I noticed was the new stubble on his cheeks. It only made me realize how long it had been since I had seen my brother.
"Cici, something is wrong, you never sleep in."
Russ was right. I was always the one waking everyone up, especially, when we had to go to church on Sunday.
"Russ you're wrong this time. I just had to work late."
"Why?"
"I just had a special party to wait on."
"What kind of party?"
"Some kids from school."
"You work too much."
"What else am I going to do, be here with Dad?"
Russ gave me a disappointed look. "Cici, you have to stop blaming dad. You know he is as hurt as we are. He needs us, especially you. You are here all the time."
"I have nothing to say to him, Russ."
Russ let out a surrendering sigh.
"So what is new with you?" I asked trying to change the subject. "How is school?"
"School's okay. I just still don't understand why I can't stay here and go to school with you. We don't see each other enough."
"I know. How is Grandma treating you, is she remembering how to give you your insulin?"
"Of course, not that is why I am dead and I am here in ghost form."
"That's not funny Russ!" Russ talking about death, quickly reminded me of my mother and just the thought of losing Russ, my only reason for living hurt me to the core.
"I'm sorry!"
"Russ if something ever happened to you I don't know what I would do."
"Same here."
I decided to get up and get dressed for church. After church, I went with Russ his job. The schedule we had every Sunday, just so we would have more time together. He worked at the local animal shelter. Something we both enjoyed, because we both loved animals. Russ even wanted to be a veterinarian when we were kids.
Ms. Lewis was in today, which was Russ's favorite supervisor. She was the only one who was patient with Russ, so I appreciated her as well.
I was over by Benny's cage. Benny was a dog that me and Russ helped rescue. We found him battered on the side of the road, which was how we found the shelter in the first place. There had been an issue with his training, because he had been so abused, he did not answer to anyone, but because Russ and I had a soft spot for him, his euthanization kept being put off, but even I knew that time was running out.
It wasn't that Benny was aggressive, he just did not listen to commands, which was equally an issue. He was unadoptable. I still had hopes that we could because he was still a puppy, but a disobedient St. Bernard was never an easy fix.
"He looks better today." Mrs. Lewis always said that. Which was never really true, she just tried to be optimistic.
She was a tall pale woman in her mid-thirties with short black hair. I had never known her to be in a bad mood.
"Hey ."
"Is everything okay, you are awfully quiet today?"
"I'm just thinking." I said vaguely.
"About what?"
"A lot of things."
"Guy problems?"
I giggled. "Why do you always assume that?"
"Well is it?"
I thought a moment. "Well, sort of. It is just I had this really weird dream last night and I am just trying to make sense of it."
"Well, tell me about it. I am usually good at translating dreams."
"Okay, I am standing behind the restaurant where I work, when this boy from school comes out with me."
"Is he cute?"
"What does that have to do with anything?"
"Nothing really. I am just curious, but go ahead."
"Anyway, so we are standing there when suddenly he kisses me."
"Was it a willing kiss?"
"What?" I asked.
"Did you kiss back?"
"Yes, but that isn't the weird part. He was attacked by a wolf."
"Wow! That is very interesting. Wolves are very loyal creatures, to dream about wolves is usually a symbol of that and to dream of a wolf attacking is usually a symbol of betrayal. The boy symbolizes your heart or something that you love."
"Love?" I barely knew Kenyon, to be in love with him. I had to admit there was an clear attraction, at least on my part, but judging from his reaction when I asked him about asking me to be his girlfriend, I wasn't sure he was interested.
"Nothing in dreams is usually literal. Evidently you have some kind of feelings for this boy, or opened the door to the possibility of love, but that doesn't matter. In the dream he is a symbol. What the dream is saying, is that your heart feels betrayed, I am guessing by your father. Maybe it is time you had a real conversation with him."
I looked down at my hands. "I am just not ready for that."
"Sorrell, you can't be mad at him forever."
"I know."
"So what about this boy?"
"He is just a boy from school. I don't even think he likes me like that."
"Have you asked him?"
"What kind of girl just comes out and asks."
"Sorrell, you can ask. You don't always have to wait for him to make the first move."
"I don't know."
"You are a beautiful girl Sorrell. I am sure he likes you, he might be just shy."
"Somehow I don't think that is the case either."
"Just ask. It couldn't hurt just to see if he likes you too."
"Okay. I'll ask."
After leaving the shelter I fixed dinner for my dad and Russ, then, grandma came to pick up Russ. He had to go to an alternative school across town and Grandma's house was closer. It was harder going through our mother's passing without him, but I was thankful for the time we did have together. I was also thankful that he was not getting bullied like he did in public school. That gave me piece of mind. It was the upside of him going to a different school.
I always looked forward to Sundays. I was sure my dad did as well. It was the only time, I really talked to him, and we were like a real family. I was thankful for those times.

© Copyright 2012 Misty Crade (UN: babydoll_y2g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Misty Crade has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753957-Chapter-15-Sunday-Morning-Sorrell