*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753983-Chapter-40-Iris-Kenyon
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1864211
A series I wrote that is loosely based on Twilight about Wolf Shifters
#753983 added June 2, 2012 at 12:16am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 40: Iris Kenyon
Chapter 40: Kenyon



I flicked my eyes open. I was back in the infirmary, only this time everything was darker than I was used to. I attributed that to the realization that I no longer shared this world with the most beautiful creature I had ever laid eyes on.
"Hey lover boy, I thought you said no more fights." Jason was fixing my IV bag. He let out a chuckle and I just turned over burying my head in the covers. "Rough night, huh?"
I didn't answer. There was a hole in my heart the size of Texas and I didn't care about anything.
"Well, everything checks out. You are actually healing faster than normal which is not surprising. Regeneration is like a muscle; the more you work it the better you get at it." He continued to talk. " And in better news. You are a hero. You single handedly defeated a werewolf. How awesome is that? You should be happier. I'm sure your lady friend will be all over you when she wakes up."
I peeked out from the covers. "What do you mean 'when she wakes up'?"
"The little girl Ro brought in when he brought you back. Trust me, you learn to control the passing out after a fight as you mature, so you don't look like a total idiot."
"She's alive?" I didn't hear anything past her ''waking up.
"Yeah about that." Jason sat on the edge of the bed. Now he was in full doctor mode. I knew then that something was wrong. I didn't feel as bad because at least I knew that she was alive.
I sat up. "Lay it on me."
He sighed and ran his figures through his hair. 'The good news, as you know is that she is alive."
"And the bad news?"
"She was bitten."
I inhaled.
"I sucked all the venom out that I could. It was experimental so I have no idea how she is going to react. Right now it looks like it is helping her heal faster and it is what saved her life, but the bad news is, I don't know what the outcome is going to be."
"What are the possible outcomes?"
"It could just be the superfast healing and terrible nightmares about killing baby animals every full moon."
" And what's the worst case?"
He swallowed. "I might have only delayed her becoming a full werewolf."
I chose to be optimistic, at least she was alive, which meant my life could go on, and anything else we could deal with. Besides there was an upside to Sorrell having rapid healing, at least I didn't have to worry about her as much as I did, when she was a delicate mortal.
'Can I see her?"
"Sure." He pulled back the curtain revealing the second of the two beds in the infirmary. I immediately got up from my bed and pulled my IV drip with me as I walked over to Sorrell's beside. She was motionless and looked like an angel, if I had never seen the bloody wrecked condition she was in when I found her I would just think she was sleeping. There were no sign of scratches or scars, just a bloody bandage on her upper arm, where I assumed she had been bitten.
I wondered if it was selfish of me to be thankful that the werewolf bit her, only for the sake of her still being alive, and not wanting to lose her. She began to stir, and I ran my fingers through her hair, then placed a kiss on her forehead. She moaned and I felt everything in my body leap for joy.
Her gorgeous eyes fluttered open and she smiled sweetly.
"Hey!" I said fighting through the lump in my throat.
She looked at me curiously. "Do I know you?"
I looked back at Jason wondering if amnesia was a plausible side effect.
"She did hit her head." He said.
I looked back at her. "Sorrell, it's me, Kenyon."
"That sounds familiar." She thought a moment.
"It should, we have been dating for about a month now. Do you know who you are?"
She thought and nodded. "Yes, I'm Sorrell Olivia Garnett. My birthday is July 7th, 1995. My dad's name is Russell William Garnett Sr."
"But you don't know who I am?" I asked.
She studied me for a moment. "Wait did you have braces?"
I looked at her suspiciously. "Yes, I wore a retainer all through middle school." I shamefully admitted.
"And really thick glasses?" she asked.
I blushed with embarrassment. "Uh, yeah, but how did you-"
Jason began to laugh. "I'm sorry! No wonder you don't have pictures of your childhood."
"Were you ever a hairy wolf creature that used to stalk me at work?"
I blushed. "I never stalked you."
She smiled. "Well, what would you call it?"
"I would just call it secretly keeping an eye on you."
Jason cut in. "That sounds like stalking to me."
"Will you stay out of this, Jason?"
He raised his hands up. "Okay. I'll just be going. I'll check on you two later."
Jason left out of the room.
"So you know my secrets?"
She nodded.
I put my hands down on each side of the bed so she could get up. "Now I have to kill you."
She let out a playful laugh and it made my heart flutter. I was so thankful for being able to hear the sound of her laugh it was the most beautiful sound in the world.
I sighed. "How did you know?"
She place her hand on my cheek. "How could a woman forget those eyes?" She smiled. "And that smile."
I beamed from ear to ear. "I love you!" I whispered.
"I love you too, Ken!"
My lips fell into hers. I wanted to kiss her until forever, but she pulled away to catch her breath. I laid next to her in the hospital bed and let out a nuzzled next to her.
"I don't know what I would do if something ever happened to you. I just couldn't live."
She looked at me with intensity. "Really?"
"Yes really."I admitted. "You see it's rare for our kind to fall in love. Especially with mortals, but when we do. It is intense, and generally for life."
"So when you said you've never stopped loving me. You really meant it."
I smiled and brushed her face with the back of my hand. "You should get some rest, we need all our energy to figure out how to explain this to your father."
"I never got a chance to thank you, for stepping in to help me and my brother."
I nuzzled her again. "It is always my pleasure!"
We both rested in each other's arms, until we both were awakened by Satordi.
"It is time for Sorrell to go home."
I drove Sorrell home in the Mustang. We stayed in the car before she went inside talking about my origins and my parents and about the shifters in Satordi's ranch. She also agreed to be my girlfriend again, and let me out of the dog house, if I learned to control my temper. I was more than happy to agree to her conditions.
I was glad that she was more than willing to keep our secrets, and that I was no longer a 'monster'. I walked her to the door and was greeted by her hysterical father.
I didn't get a chance to kiss her goodnight. I didn't want to attempt it in front of her father who was still angry that Sorrell was attack by this creature and no one called him from the ranch when they found her. I told her that I would see her tomorrow at school, even promised her I would take her to the homecoming dance and it wasn't until the ride back to the ranch when I remembered I couldn't dance.
I finally got to our cottage, thinking that Randy was asleep, but he excitedly met me at the door.
"Little bro. taking on a were by himself. They grow up so fast. How did you do it?"
"I'll tell you tomorrow." I sighed. "I have to get some sleep."
"Oh, no you don't. Tell me everything."
I did a hard blink. "I got my butt kicked, double phased, ripped his head off."
"Bad ass!" He grinned. "How did you do a double phase?"
"Goodnight Randy." I walked sleepily up the stair to our bedroom.
"I am not letting you sleep until you teach me how to double phase."
I dozed off into peaceful slumber even though Randy was still ranting and dreamed of my Sorrell.
The End.

© Copyright 2012 Misty Crade (UN: babydoll_y2g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Misty Crade has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753983-Chapter-40-Iris-Kenyon