*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754581-The-Purple-Polka-Dot-Egg
by Amay
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1872712
A nice place to collect my flash fiction entries.
#754581 added June 10, 2012 at 8:31pm
Restrictions: None
The Purple Polka-Dot Egg
Write a story that includes the line: "Don't try to stop me"
Have fun!

Kenneth sulked at the desk. He was frustrated, tired and couldn’t think straight. He’d been sitting there for an eternity. Well, twenty minutes anyway. He didn’t want to write, the prompt was stupid. How many people keep a purple polka dot egg under their bed? Nobody he knew of anyway.
His life depended on this story. The fourth grade writing test, it was a pass this or fail the fourth grade situation. Whose bright idea was that anyway? He started writing, but it wasn’t about a stupid purple egg. Dear Dr. Egghead, he wrote on the top line.
He poured out his heart. Pleading for his life, his reputation as an A student. He pleaded for a reasonable prompt that halfway made sense. His letter was filled with arguments that would challenge anyone to explain why one prompt on one day could pass or ruin your whole year. He argued for the right to have the time to ponder, the right to plan, the right to edit and revise even if it all had to be done independently. Time was an asset that all writers deserved to have and that one hour for the whole process was a mockery to true writers.
Ms. Arthur quietly said, “Guys, you have ten minutes.”
Kenneth looked up, panic in his eyes. The teacher walked over, “What’s wrong?” A spark lit up Kenneth’s face. He stuck a caret after the Dr. and added Purple Polka Dot in front of Egghead. He added his final line- “By the way, you silly Purple Polka Dotted Egghead, how did you manage to get out from under my bed?”
Kenneth took his paper to Ms. Arthur, “Don’t try to stop me from complaining about this stupid prompt.”
She smiled, “I know, me too!”
kph
7/5/10
Words: 295
© Copyright 2012 Amay (UN: amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754581-The-Purple-Polka-Dot-Egg