*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754861-Geographical-Diversity-in-Writing-a-Novel
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#754861 added June 14, 2012 at 6:19pm
Restrictions: None
Geographical Diversity in Writing a Novel
Geographical Diversity in Writing a Novel

I hate it when Microsoft barges in and posts an update and I lose what I have been working on. Maybe it was just one of those things that was meant to be and the world is better off without the blog I was working on.

Yesterday I worked on my RC Model airplane. I’ll take a picture of it today and try and reduce it for my blog. What a convoluted process that is… getting it sized small enough to transfer to WDC. If anyone knows a simple way please let me know. I’ll dress my blogs up more with photos.

Anyway the hinged surfaces are finished to the ailerons, elevator and rudder. As I was finishing up my Exacto-Knife slipped and stabbed me in the wrist. It went deep and about an inch and a half down my wrist. lOuch! Luckly the vein was not punctured. Next I need to add the servos and those linkages. It is starting to look like a flyer.

Yesterday on a walk l focused on how to pull my novel Essence and the Stones together. It is set in three different geographical locations and the characters come together in the end. It is structurally something like Game of Thrones but I was working on it prior to reading George Martin’s series. His novel showed me the mechanics of how to do it.

In my class I get the students to write vignettes and that is actually pretty much how I have written this novel. Instead of the six (6) I require there, are many more loosely organized into the three stories. This broadens the scope more, allows for more characters and makes the story much more interesting. Part of the problem is that since realizing the importance of templating they are written in a hodge-podge of forms, some mostly dialog, others mostly exposition and some a skewed combination of both. Further many of the components and devices common to good story telling are missing altogether. I have a vision in mind of how to go about it but it will be time consuming.

As I think about this approach to writing a novel I can see its application to other novels I have started and let fall by the way side. They are simply too linear and need to start in different social geographies and flow slowly together by the end of the book.

Today the cleaning lady comes and I have to clear out with the dog. If I stay she will talk her head off. Really she is a very nice lady but Linda and I have learned it is best to leave her to her own devices when she comes. I need to make the bed, wash the clothes, and do the dishes before she gets here. Does she have us trained or what?

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754861-Geographical-Diversity-in-Writing-a-Novel