*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755828-A-Revalation
Rated: 13+ · Book · Animal · #1875812
A blog on the adventures my son's dog is taking me on while he is away for a month.
#755828 added June 29, 2012 at 7:23am
Restrictions: None
A Revalation
I'm a little behind here - I've had terrible insomnia and wasn't sure I could make any sense - I got a whole 4 hours of sleep last night - so i'm up for the challenge but bare with me - just realize if you don't understand it - it's me not you.

June 27: While Betty took me on a walk (I swear I'm going to need physical therapy on my shoulder from her pulling me through the neighborhood), I got to thinking (scary) about how old betty is. Well, if the 7 year people to dog year ratio is right - then Betty is 15 which explains a whole lot! My son is 15. I thought hey thats cute they have that in common, which got the wheels turning. Betty and Reese have sooooo much in common. I'm raising 15 year old twins - one human and one dog (Disney is going to swoop this idea up, no doubt).

Let's look at the similarities:

1. They are both 15.
2. They both think the only food that should be on this world is chicken and cheese.
3. They both have the amazing ability to sleep half the day away no matter what is going on around them.
4. They both are a little shy when first meeting new people, but quickly warm up to them.
5. They both have wonderful manners.
6. They both are smart enough to recognize a certain look in my eye that says the Wrath of Ralls is about to explode, at which point both run to Reese's bed or try to look cute and innocent.
7. Neither of them pick up after themselves.
8. Both are good cuddlers.
9. Both seem to be hungry ALL the time.
10. Both enjoying exploring nature.

Differences:
Reese likes video games
Betty enjoys sniffing mail boxes.

Hey - I didn't say they were identical.

What else happened today?

Oh yes! Our neighbors came over, who Betty has never met up close. They have a one year old little girl (actually her birthday was today). Betty has never been around a baby, so I was a little worried, becauset Baby Kimber sure wanted to be around her. Betty was great with her! She didn't jump, which is good since she's 4 times as big as the baby. she let the baby tug on her and even lightly licked the baby's face. Personally, I think she was going for the left over milk from the sippie cup.

Sadly today, we got the news that one of Betty's friends had passed away. We had boarded Pepito (English bulldog) for a year, and just given him back 2 weeks ago. We aren't sure exactly what happened, but my guess is that the Oklahoma heat had something to do with it.

We will miss you, Pepito.

What an event filled day - because it is not over.

I'm at the computer chatting in WDC; Betty is near my feet. I hear her chewing away and assume (bad bad idea) that she is chewing on one of the bone things I bought her (see I do have a heart sometimes). Then I happen to glance down, and see she has chewed through the vaccum cleaner cord! Ohhhhhh, don't even feel sorry for her. She knew what she'd done, because before i could even yell she took off and jumped on Reese's bed like it was "base" or something. Reese isn't here to save you, you turkey! ohhhh, i was so mad. I put her outside, promising all sorts of punishments, but first I needed to cool off. Reese happened to call and i told him. Well, of course it wasn't Betty's fault. His plea went something like this:

"Mom, it's not her fault. Please let her in. You should have been paying more attention. It's just because she misses me. Mom, you have to let her sleep with you. She's lonely. She doesn't understand. etc. etc. etc."

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN PAYING MORE ATTENTION!? SOMEHOW THIS IS MY FAULT? THAT DOG IS NOT NOT NOT GOING FOR A WALK IN THE MORNING!

June 28: I took Betty for a walk this morning -- (I am such a pushover)

What is it they say - something like a human has to do something for at least 21 days for it to become a habit? Well, apparently, it takes a dog 3 days. Because before I had even made it to the bathroom from waking up, Betty is standing at the front door wagging her tail.

You have to realize that before this week I had NEVER taken Betty for a walk. She's Reese's dog, not mine - I just let her live her lol. And he doesn't do it on a regular basis - regular time - he's not a scheduled kind of kid. And he definitely doesn't do it at 6:30 in the morning, since he and Betty usually sleep until 11:00.

But somehow after 3 days, it is like she can't live without this. It's not so bad. Except there is this one house we have to pass. It has a tall wooden fenced backyard so I can't see what type of dog is back there but he must be cussing Betty out or talkin' smack about Reese when he barks at Betty because it is the only place where she attempts to rip both my arms off my body by sheer force of pulling and growls. She never ever growls - and there are plenty of other dogs in the neighborhood that "talk" to us.

Oh what will June 29th bring?

Betty, Betty, Betty

** Image ID #1529452 Unavailable **




© Copyright 2012 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755828-A-Revalation