*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755910-Left-Leaning-Scholarship
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#755910 added November 17, 2013 at 11:59pm
Restrictions: None
Left Leaning Scholarship


I have always considered myself a moderate, swing voter and historically voted for as many Democrats as Republicans. In more recent times I have drifted more to the right of center because I see an assault on our Constitution by those who want our country to become more socialist, and instead of continuing our traditions of individual responsibility advocate becoming more like the states we see in Europe.

Trying to see both sides of the argument I read left leaning books and commentaries and also listen to right leaning talk radio. The latest book I am reading is “It’s Even Worse than it Looks” by Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein. I really liked the title but disagree with the premise which is, “How the American Constitutional System Collided with the New Politics of Extremism.” I really think the premise should be, “How the American Constitutional System Collided with the New Politics of Socialism.” In my mind this restatement characterizes the real problem more accurately and the “Extremism” is but a symptom.

Defining problems is not easy and if writers get that part wrong then everything that follows becomes suspect. The writers might try and explain facts but what they are describing isn’t really the problem. By defining the problem thus the Democrats are cast as the good guys and the Republicans as the ones wearing the dark hats.

As I read the book it becomes clear that rather than a rational, scholarly examination and a balanced view of the events that have led to the failed presidency of the Obama Administration, they present only those facts that support their left leaning, one sided and preconceived views. It is always good to read partisan views because it gives the reader a perspective of what the left is thinking. The authors are great apologists for the Democrats and make an entertaining and lopsided argument for why the Republicans are responsible for all that is wrong with this country.

For me it was disappointing because under the pretext of a scholarly and objective point of view their slant is clearly lopsided. There is nothing fair and balanced about the book. On page 40 the writers refer to Republicans Joe Scarborough, J.D. Hayworth, Helen Chenoweth and Mark Neumann as “Gadflies.” This tone that vilifies Republicans and promotes Democrats cause the reader to raise a skeptical eyebrow and take the case Mann and Ornstein provide with a grain of salt. It is a good book only in the sense that it provides a clear snapshot of the left’s world view.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/755910-Left-Leaning-Scholarship