*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757604-Research
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#757604 added August 1, 2012 at 9:22am
Restrictions: None
Research
Research

As part of my Radio Control (RC) airplane hobby, I was watching U-Tube and seeing how innovators are building model aircraft using styrofoam. I was particularly interested in how the wing cores were being formed and cut. The way the styrofoam is cut is with what is called a "Hot Wire." A wire is run between two posts (looks like a cheese cutter) and a current is passed over it. This is used to cut the foam.

I mentioned in an earlier blog my desire to scratch-build a model using raw materials that are readily available at a lumber yard, like Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. So I purchased an 8*4 piece of insulation foam and some thin plywood.

One video shows how the “Hot Box” is designed and I became so inspired I went out and bought some components to build one. In my enthusiasm I did not buy all the right stuff and will have to go back and make some adjustments. The device consists of a project box, power cord, a 2.5 amp transformer, a dimmer switch, fuse holder, 120 volt light and some binding posts. Now to an electrician, putting this all together would be self-evident but for me this is a new adventure and while I understand a bit about electricity, I rely on “Monkey See… Monkey Do” circuits prepared by someone with more expertise than I have. That is why U-Tube is so useful. It shows the average person how to do things that once were the specialized knowledge of technicians.

Writing a novel is much like my latest adventure. You have to get a sense for how the story line is going to run and the characters. Then you develop an outline (Wiring Diagram) and make sure you have all the right components. Once you have that, all that remains is putting it together one step at a time.

Sometimes in the grip of enthusiasm a writer just jumps in and starts writing without much of a plan to start with. That is a good approach in the developmental phase. This is the time to chase down leads and find out where the dead ends are. It is also the place to do all the necessary research. It is what the developmental phase is all about… Doing the research and putting together the wiring diagram (Outline) and making sure that all the components to good story telling are included.

I know I must sound like the Energizer Bunny continuously banging on my drum, moving lockstep along but that is the science to writing. The art is putting your device or story together and the satisfaction that comes from seeing it "Hummmm" to life.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757604-Research