*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757739-50-Shades-of-Grey---Yep-Im-going-against-the-Grain
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#757739 added August 3, 2012 at 12:43pm
Restrictions: None
50 Shades of Grey - Yep, I'm going against the Grain!
I was told not to write this - which if you know me at all - made me want to write it even more.

If you haven't heard of the book 50 Shades of Grey or the 2 books that follow it - give yourself a big hug -- you must be a hermit without access to media but go ahead hug yourself - well, if you are a hermit i'm sure you could use a hug.

First, I almost NEVER read books overpublicized by the media - no Twilight, Potter, etc. It's just a thing with me - i like to discover my own reading material not have it shoved down my throat. But alas, I was weak during Spring Break and thought - hey - i'll see what all the hoopla is about - i could use an easy read. I'd admit it I caved. Which is why I generally don't have principle's that way i don't disappoint myself.


To be clear - this is not a book review - it is a ty-RANT.

The book is overtly sexual which i'm sure some had a problem with - I however did not. The writing is pretty good - it's smooth, understandable, transitions well.

And I HATED IT. First of all, I'm not a romance reader - my days of danielle steele ended before i reached my 20's. and this romance story is less realistic than Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I won't give any spoiler alerts here because honestly, when you are reading it if you don't see what's coming you either aren't paying attention or you've had one too many shots of tequila.

here comes the RANT part. The guy in the book, Christian Grey, has well let's just say an unconvential appetite in the bedroom. - i honestly don't know if you would consider it unconvential - it depends what you do behind closed doors - but just for the sake of clarification let's just call it eccentric. Anyway his knew love is not so 'adventurous'. Completely understandable - we all like what we like -- i like my potatoes fried you might like the baked.

But here's my probably with the whole damn book -- we go on to learn Christian is the way he is because of a bad childhood -- dun dun dun - something from his past . . . This freakin' (you know the word I want to say) pissed me off. Why? Why? Why? Why when something is different does there ALWAYS have to be an underlying cause. I'm not saying there never is, but it's to the point we will make one up if there isn't one. I mean I like mustard on my crackers -- that's different - but i'm pretty damn sure my mom never abused me by making me drink excessive amounts of condiments.

It's not like I have this great need to stand up for the bondage, slave/master community - but my point is if they like it and it works for them - why can't that just be enough? The book was publicized almost like it would open the minds of people and bedrooms around the country would be a-rockin'. And then they blew it - by making him "twisted" "damaged" if you will. We can't just like what we like - there has to be a reason. DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND - about the first time a man tells me to call him Master and assume the position he has a new whip to try out - I'll be borrowing my real daddy's smith and wesson and preaching a little sermon about who is my one and only MASTER. But hey that's just me.

let people be different and let them enjoy their differences. there does not have to be something wrong with them because they are not like you. You know different things do it for different people. hell - what's wrong with a little car wash fetish here and there. And you know what if you are someone that is different - sexually or any other way -- freakin' embrace it -- you don't have to label yourself a freak.

My son likes Burger King - I like McDonalds - he's wrong and i'm right but i'm not going to call him a freak over it or wonder how I screwed up during his formative years.

Basically, the book pissed me off.

Go ahead, bring on the tirade - i'm ready.

You don't have to agree with me to love me,
Ralls



** Image ID #1529452 Unavailable **




© Copyright 2012 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757739-50-Shades-of-Grey---Yep-Im-going-against-the-Grain