*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758256
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#758256 added August 10, 2012 at 11:32pm
Restrictions: None
A matter of culture?
Do we choose health care?
2012 agosto 10

I commented on a facebook post of Linda Zern regarding health care:

It's free [in Canada] when you don't receive a bill and the marshals aren't coming to evict you from the family home. The homeless in the USA are free ...until they are put in jail. Canadians support health-for-all; south of the border every small town is thrilled when the state decides to build a new prison. It's merely a question of culture and what is valued most.


It's a question of cultural values, I wrote.

I think Americans expect the family and community to respond ...or not ...when there are health issues. In the mean time individuals get to keep every penny they earn (or don't). Canadians and many other cultures think it's okay to give their pennies to a common worthy cause ...such as health care... and live on less.

I'm more Canadian in this aspect. More Swede. More French. More Tico even...

I'm also more inclusive with my personal and not-so-personal relationships. The individuality that Americans pride so much can get in the way of overcoming other social diseases like racism as well. Whereas some countries build schools and others build hospitals, Americans buy guns and invest in private prisons.

It's a matter of values.
299

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758256