*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758267-Just-When-Ive-Finally-Learned-to-Say-No
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#758267 added August 11, 2012 at 9:05am
Restrictions: None
Just When I've Finally Learned to Say No
I admit it - I'm a pleaser - in a way. I mean I used to have trouble telling people 'no' even if what they were asking would cause me stress because either I didn't have time to do it or I just plain didn't want to do it. I mean, we need to help our fellow man, right? Well, 43 years later (yes, Leger, I told my age yet again!), I decided I needed to be honest before I drove myself into an early grave by trying to meet all these requests and not being able to keep up with what I needed to do.

Used to it would go something like this:

"Audra, could you make Nik's birthday cake? I just don't have time and I don't want him to be disappointed."

"Yes, no problem. What kind would he like?" (In my mind I'm thinking Who is Nik? How do you make a cake? I hope my oven works; I can't remember the last time I turned it on.

So I practiced saying 'no' in polite ways (of course) over and over. No, I'm sorry I wish I could help. I just have a lot of things going on right now.

I think because I'm single, people (my family especially - but pretty much the world) think I have more free time. Which boggles my mind. I mean if you think about it - i'm kinda doing double duty as a parent, not to mention my job. Speaking of my job as a teacher, I come from a long line of teachers, so the fact that they assume I'm done working at 3:00 and have time to go pick up their dry cleaning, meds, etc. seems odd to me. But anyway - I continued to practice saying no.

No, I'm sorry I can't be the PTA liason this year. I'd love to help, but I'm already the drama sponsor and I'm afraid it wouldn't be fair to you, because I'm sure you want someone fully committed.

No, I can't go this time. But maybe next time!

and it progressed to

Hell no! What are you thinking?

So I'm feeling empowered - I can finally say no and mean it!

And then it happened . . . .

Yesterday, my boss comes up to me and says:

"Audra, would you mind putting together a skit about the new common core objectives for the entire faculty for Monday?"

Already feeling proud of myself, I said firmly, "No."

"Oh, great! I knew I could count on you. I'd like to have some music with it too."

Wait!!!! What just happened? I finally learn to say the word 'no' and they start rewording the freaking questions????

I suppose now I'm going to have to do something entirely silly like practice actually listening to what people are saying. Geeze, the horror!

So I ask you, "Would you mind reading and responding to my blogs?"

No, yes, I mean no, maybe,
Audra

© Copyright 2012 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758267-Just-When-Ive-Finally-Learned-to-Say-No