*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758657
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#758657 added August 15, 2012 at 12:08pm
Restrictions: None
Australian "Gay Marriage" review
Review of "Gay Marriage"
15 August 2012


Original article by Bubblegum, an Australian: "Gay Marriage
My review that follows: Review of "Gay Marriage"

I think this is a well-reasoned essay. May lack a bit of oomph, but it doesn't bash.

Your strongest argument: "The question is should one person's religious beliefs be used as a weapon to exclude others from fundamental legal rights. Denial of marriage to gay couples creates a second class of citizens and attempts to remove at least in part, the separation of church and state."

Well put to add this minor point as some folks take umbrage if they are excluded: "I should also say that I am using the term gay as “code” for the whole range of sexual preferences, including gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, and same sex attracted.

Your opening tells me that you are an ally to the "Queer" community. This is key to the "movement" and any reader as little improves without those who stand up for others. Many in the gay community feel so vulnerable that standing up can be an issue when one is re-learning how to crawl. At the U of Kansas the college gay group is called Queers and Allies ... Q&A for short. *Smile*

In the U.S. the issue has been used as a crusade by certain Christian churches. They feel threatened. By what I'm not sure. My marriage would have nothing to do with them. And in fact, non-Christians can and do get married as well. The U.S. isn't the CRA, Christian Republic of America ...yet.

The reasons for opposing any marriage are so weak that it comes off as a smoke screen for deeper issues. Back to "they feel threatened". A recent massacre at a Sikh temple and burning of a mosque as well as political opposition to building one tells a tale of where there is smoke ...there is fire.

Fearful groups need scapegoats. In the U.S. that has traditionally meant Blacks, Indians and Jews. Now it's still those three groups but Hispanics and Muslims have come to the forefront. The gay community is making progress but "choice" or "I am different and that's okay" is still not embraced.

I'm sure the details in Australia differ but the gist is the same. People will use their ignorance to bash with a book that they haven't fully read (in historical context? even less likely).

Recent events in South Australia and Tasmania though show that many Australians are willing to grant equality and move on from this issue.

I enjoyed reading this. Kåre.


I need to do more reviews. I don't for time and emotional reasons. The answers to that would be discipline and knowing I am loved regardless.
310

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758657