*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/759198-This-Next-Generation-Shaking-my-Head
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#759198 added August 22, 2012 at 11:05pm
Restrictions: None
This Next Generation (Shaking my Head)
Okay - I guess this might seem a rant, perhaps it is - but in a way I see it as a rave.

I'm sick of hearing things like:
1. What's going to become of our world when this next generation becomes our leaders?
2. What is this next generation thinking?
3. This next generation has no idea what real life is about.



My counterpoints:

About statement #1: Like our generation has done a bang-up job? Do we really have room to talk? We better be patting these kids and the back, saying things like, "I can't wait until the future when you dig us out of these holes (craters) we've dug.

About statement #2: What are they thinking? Pretty much the same things we were thinking when we were teenagers, except now believe it or not they are smarter in many ways. They not only have the technology but they know how to use it -- I admit it - I have a "smart"phone and have no idea the things it can do. Plus, take away the technology - education-wise these kids are required to learn a heck of a lot more than we were. Real world wise? Nope, they may not walk 4 miles in the snow to school, or work on the farm from sun up to sun down, BUT they know how to interact with people of various race, religion, ideas, wealth, etc. They know how to cook their own meals, when their single-parent has to work a late shift. They know more about the judicial system than many adults because too many have been dragged through it for one reason or another.

About statement #3: Really? What did we know about 'real life' when we were kids? I wanted to be I Dream of Jeannie until about my sophomore year in college. And this is coming from a girl who had a job from the age of 14. Who can possibly know about real life until you experience it? Besides, how is being a teenager not 'real life'? Would you want to go back to that age? Hormones - drama - homework - parents - rules - rules - not understanding what is going on with your mind or body -- Oh wait, that kind of sounds like me now.

I have spent a week back at work teaching middle schoolers and high schoolers. Sure - I've heard my share of bitching, whining, complaining, statements of how things aren't fair, talking behind people's backs, judging others at first glance. I've heard it all - but not from the kids, from the adults. This is what I've heard or seen from the kids:

I've seen kids give other kids they didn't know their extra school supplies so the kid without wouldn't be embarrassed.
I heard an 8th grade boy genuinely compliment a 6th grade boy on his shoes. (trust me - it's a big deal)
I've been told 'thank you' more times than I probably was all summer.
When I watched a student give her lunch to another kid and asked her later why she wasn't eating - she explained that the girl didn't have a lunch or money -- when I said she could have shared so she could eat too - she informed me that she had food to eat when she got home; she wasn't sure the other girl had any - her dad had recently lost his job. Do we really want to question leadership and responsibility?
I've watched as a new child that speaks almost no english has been embraced and helped by a class that didn't even know of him 6 days ago. They have found ways to communicate, work together, and learn from each other.

Do they screw up? Yep. So do I. Do they seem like they only care about themselves. Yes, sometimes. But then again, I caught myself thinking tonight how I would enjoy some time just for myself. Are some of them just going to grow up to be screw ups? Unfortunately, probably. But think of your graduating class? Any of those people ever screw up?

I'm not bashing our generation - I truly believe few people make mistakes purposely - but why are we passing the buck of blame down to kids before they even have a chance to succeed or fail? We keep saying they are going to suck at life as grown ups - they are going to start to believe it and then we have the self-fulfilling prophecy thing happening. Don't take their opportunity to have a positive effect away from them before they even begin.

This next generation? Well, they just might not live up to your expectations - but I'm pretty sure they will mine.

Kids - you gotta love 'em,
Audra



my newest sig
BOOK
Hey, life? Are you kidding me?  (18+)
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#1578384 by audra_branson





© Copyright 2012 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/759198-This-Next-Generation-Shaking-my-Head