*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/759596-Fleeting-Memories
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#759596 added August 29, 2012 at 9:37am
Restrictions: None
Fleeting Memories
Fleeting Memories

The past few days have had their ups and downs, mostly downs. Still having little things plague life prevents big ones. Anyway that is Linda’s theory and she comes from a superstitious gene-pool.

They fixed my tractor and the bill made me wince. Then I took Linda with me to the flying field and promptly crashed the new “Foamy” she bought me. She was very solicitous and offered to buy me a new one.

One of the games I like to play is that when the spell checker shows a word in the body of the text I am writing, to be incorrect, I juggle around with it and see if I can figure out how to spell it correctly. Some words are very difficult. For example the word airlerion (deliberately misspelled) which is the control surface on the back of an airplane’s wing gave me fits. See if you can spell it right without recourse to the spell-checker. I might start offering a word a day because there are some words out there that will really, “Stump the Chump.”

Linda brought in the picture of the Royal Husars (another challenging word) who were posed nude in front of their armored vehicles, in support of Prince Harry. I hear their wives posed in a similar photograph. Seeing that support makes me proud that part of my heritage traces to the British Isles and I greatly admire their cheekiness, sense of humor and common sense.

In October we are taking a vacation. After WW2 my father was assigned in France and we lived in a small village outside of La Rochelle. It was a great place to grow up and I have many vivid memories that I often still dream about. I remember once when I was on a long walk, far from home, with my dog Benoit and looking across a field to a farm house. There in the yard was a girl my age staring back. I often wonder who she was and if that moment made as much as an impression on her as it did on me. Anyway it will be fun walking about and seeing what has changed. (And eating the French Bread.)

I have to believe that others have similar events in their lives when there once was a starkly profound moment… soon lost in the murkiness of time. These are those images, born of dreams, still etched in awareness, that dissipate like a vapor and in seconds can hardly be recollected.

My dog Honey and the cat Felix have joined me on the bed and are sleeping next to one another. They look so peaceful.

Well, it’s time to get my lazy butt out of bed and go back to work in the Shop. My Dad used to say, “Life is great if you don’t weaken.”

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/759596-Fleeting-Memories