*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762253-Tome-Excerpt
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #1896210
Rough-draft of a high-fantasy novel I will be editing for submission to publishers.
#762253 added October 7, 2012 at 12:10pm
Restrictions: None
Tome Excerpt
The Great Dragon War

There was once a great war among the dragons. Their dispute was one of great animosity as one of their number, following the path of dark magic, sought to establish himself as overlord of all the dragons. He craved power, most especially anything magical in nature. He rallied many of the lesser dragons to his cause, but when his secret designs were discovered war could not be averted.

While most fiendish dragons- the blacks, greens, and reds- tended toward the darker side of deeds, Tyrignym’s actions went beyond the norm. Of frightening consideration was the power and standing behind his goal. As he had rallied many dragons to his cause before this plot was discovered, its success was very possible. Tyrignym’s only weakness seemed to be in his underestimation of the strength in the mortal races.

The war raged across the land of Rokhr, leaving the land hazardous to any who lived there. People had to adapt their lifestyles so that all were striving to survive amidst the perils procured by warring dragons. Clearly, the people of Rokhr were open to any change in their current status and seized upon the opportunity to aid the dragons forming against Tyrignym.

While battles between dragons continued, a coalition began to form between these lesser mortals and the dragons, led by one silver dragon known as Vex, full name Vexitraenylaesk. It was not too difficult to keep their activities hidden as Tyrignym continued to overlook these simple beings, finding them to be no threat to his current status. A plot was devised in which Tyrignym would be trapped in the Abyss. Plans were tenuous and the allied forces tense with expectation. An immense magical effort must be made to complete the spell that would lock Tyrignym away, and it must be done quickly with no mistakes, for Tyrignym’s interest in magic left him with many tools to sense its presence.

Dwarves worked ceaselessly to create the tools that would be necessary to channel the magical power. Elves imbued them with the keys for their awakening. Halflings scouted and spied to gain the assurance that their presence remained unnoticed. Humans prepared themselves for defense. But most important were the druids of all races, for they contained the knowledge and power that would allow for the completion of the spell, drawn from the strength of Vex. It was truly an alliance of all, joined in the common cause of survival and freedom.

The time to spring their trap grew nigh, and the plot was discovered. Morale disappeared as all hope for success seemed lost, but there stood Vex, an ensign to all. Tyrignym himself came to put an end to the insurgence, and the fight between the two dragons was ruthless. The druids, disciplined and focused, stepped forward to complete their part of the task while all others joined in the battle to fend off Tyrignym’s followers as the battle of Vex and Tyrignym raged in the skies above.

Tyrignym sensed the power of the spell and its design moments too late. He tried to escape, sending his own magical energy into a torrentious storm, cascading toward the druids below. The druids did not waiver, and the spell was completed. A portal to the Abyss opened within the druid’s circle just as Vex forced Tyrignym into position. There was a great crack of thunder and with a force beyond compare the great fiend was sucked out of this world. Wrapping up the battle was all too easy after that.

The dragons gathered to come to terms with the results of the war. Many of their number had been lost. The dragons vowed to keep themselves apart from the world. Humbled that one of their number could commit such evil, they devoted themselves to the quiet, secretive preservation of the lesser races that had been so hurt by their war. The people were not to know of their presence. Some refused to join in this alliance to serve, but those agreed to remain in secret. Keeping themselves hidden and apart, striving to be seen as little as possible.

The druids vowed to protect the knowledge of these magical workings and pass on the story of the Dragon Wars to their descendants. Only the head of the druid order would have access to the powerful rites resulting in banishment to the Abyss.

The magical items were trusted to Vex, who they had been fashioned after in recognition of his charismatic and important role in ending the war. Vex refused to keep them himself, leaving them with his friend and companion Naerdineonis to be hoarded away from prying eyes and fingers.
The war was over, and dragons disappeared from memory. They remained only in stories and in the art and religious worship of Lady Rokhr.
© Copyright 2012 April Dawn (UN: strigiformes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
April Dawn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762253-Tome-Excerpt