*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762800-Where-did-I-read-this
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1203635
Blogging from a natural-born ranter.
#762800 added October 13, 2012 at 6:18pm
Restrictions: None
Where did I read this?
I'm going to try NaNoWriMo.org again. I'm planning my novel, doing a little outlining, a little character creation (no, not a little person, a little as in 'a bit of'), figuring out the rules for FTL travel, and so forth.

My problem of the moment, however, is that I want to use/quote a line I first saw in a book by one of my favorite authors. The line is:

"What does not kill me had better start running".

I can't remember which author, which book, which protagonist, nada. I know the author is female (according to her blurbs), and the protagonist is a strong woman, someone you would not want to piss off, ever. I think it was the last or next to last book in a series, and I read it last year. Helpful, huh?

So, my question is: have you ever heard this expression used colloquially before, thus putting it probably in the public domain, a la 'have a nice day', or do you remember reading the line, and if so, where? I'm going to put the line in my NaNo novel anyway, I just need to know if I need to replace it before I send my deathless prose out to be published. If I can figure out where I read it, and I think the novel is worth a bit of effort, I might even ask the author for permission to quote the line, probably as a chapter title.

How's this for a reading test:

If you get to this point, and you make an effort to solve my dilemma, I'll send 100 gift points each to the first 50 people who respond, via a review. Also, for the first three people who can tell me where I read this (yes, I will be checking) I will send 1,000 gift points each. I am the sole judge of any given response, and will be counting by the order in which I receive the comments. Thank you.

© Copyright 2012 Chriswriter (UN: wordwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chriswriter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762800-Where-did-I-read-this