*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762904-Money-Mystery
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#762904 added October 14, 2012 at 9:57pm
Restrictions: None
Money Mystery
There are many things that are very different in the USA compared to England and most of them are for the better. We have become experts at confusing people with our strange accents and bizarre way of doing things. *Laugh*

One of the few things we don't really like or understand is this adding tax and tipping business. At home our tax is already added to goods so your price tag or bill is as you see it. Tipping is usually limited to taxi drivers, hairdressers and occasionally restaurants and there are no recommended amounts.

It's confusing knowing who, when, where and how much to tip here. Some Americans tell us they don't tip if service or food is not good, but that doesn't occur very often in our experience. We have improved at working out percentages and are usually thanked profusely for our tips, so I conclude we must be getting it right to some extent.

But one thing puzzles me. In restaurants we generally pay by cash as we'll have enough on our credit cards to pay back as it is. The waiter or waitress brings our bill and we put a pile of notes under the clip attached to the bill. When the waiter or waitress collects it they always say.

'I'll just get your change.'

When we say no, it's fine they reply ' Thank you. That's much appreciated. '

My question is, how on earth do they know how much there is in that pile of notes and whether there's a decent tip included or even enough to cover the bill? *Rolleyes*


© Copyright 2012 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/762904-Money-Mystery