*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/764941-Twitter-Scribbles--Saturday-3-November-2012
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1634630
Brief writing exercises and thoughts on writing. Maybe the occasional personal musing.
#764941 added November 4, 2012 at 5:38pm
Restrictions: None
Twitter Scribbles: Saturday, 3 November 2012
I've decided to start collecting and posting a daily account of quick blurbs I post to Twitter. I will call these collections "Twitter Scribbles."

I actually started doing the scribbles before the Writing Quickies/Quick Blurbs. In fact, the former led to the latter. I started them because Twitter was the first place I wanted to place samples of my writing.

In someways, Twitter Scribbles are hard. After all, you only get 140 characters to play with. That's two sentences worth of characters. Three if you're lucky. The nice thing about that, though, is that it encourages me to develop an economy of words. If I think of the perfect image or action I want to describe and find out that I'm five letters over my limit, I have to look at how I can either rewrite the sentence or drop a word (maybe a pesky adjective that isn't really necessary). In it's own way, I think it's a good way to help refine my craft.

And with that, I give you yesterday's Twitter Scribbles:

I ran my hands through the hot white sand of the beach. I picked up a handful and let it slip back through my fingers a few grins at a time.

---

I stepped into the dark chamber and blinked, waiting for my eyes to adjust. I could smell the dampness in the air and hear a steady drip.

---

I reached over and ran my fingers through his short black hair. He blushed and pulled away a bit. I dropped my hand. We both smiled.

---

I sat at my desk writing. I stirred as I sensed Chris walk up and stand behind me. He placed a hand on my shoulder and gently squeezed.

----

I stood there looking out over the canyon. Below me the trees' autumn leaves created a patchwork of reds and golds. I was breathless.

---

We stood facing each other. I eyed her suspiciosly, my mind flooded with past lies and insults. Her expression was rigid.


JarredH

Our tears remind us that we're alive. Our laughter reminds us why.


© Copyright 2012 JarredH (UN: seithman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JarredH has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/764941-Twitter-Scribbles--Saturday-3-November-2012