*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765047-Perfect-Timing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#765047 added November 5, 2012 at 6:42pm
Restrictions: None
Perfect Timing
It doesn't take long for reality to kick in and confirmation we are back in England is difficult to ignore.

When the QM2 docked at Southampton yesterday at six in the morning it was of course pimply sissing down. *Rolleyes* On arriving home hubby was soon ensconced in his favourite armchair catching up on television programmes. *Rolleyes* I notice the Humbug advertisements are now creeping in. *Rolleyes*

Today being Monday meant the usual routine trip to the supermarket. Essential this time as we have little food in the house, although after squeezing into winter clothes this morning that might not have been a bad thing. *Blush* I noticed many aisles already devoted to the season I love to hate as well as all the unsold Halloween costumes and knick knacks on sale at reduced prices.

Tonight we've been subjected to hours of horrible firework noises it being Bonfire night, but hopefully we've missed the worst of it. So all in all the trip is already becoming a hazy memory and real life rapidly taking over.

However, I know I have no grounds for complaint and for once it seems the weather witch was on the receiving end of some good luck. Had our boat been due to leave Brooklyn one day later we'd now be stranded somewhere in the USA or in an even worse state in New York itself.

As it was we were able to travel by train from Boston to New York on Saturday and board our ship on Sunday. Strong winds and swirling seas were already evident and the boat left early in an effort to be as far away as possible when the hurricane hit. It was the last thing to leave the port before it closed completely with a record number of pilot boats surrounding it as it left.

But the QM2 was built for Transatlantic conditions with special stabilisers, so although the first forty-eight hours were very rocky with waves lashing at windows on the lower decks, it was quite tolerable and much preferable to what those on land were suffering. Our cabin was on deck eleven right at the top of the ship and near the front, so we felt the motion more than others. Even at that great height our balcony was covered with water and the outdoor furniture tossed about relentlessly. But as I said, I consider we were extremely fortunate.

Life on board continued in the usual way with shows, films, dances lectures, workshops and of course the inevitable mounds of food and posh frocks. We had some delightful table companions so again were lucky. A young couple from Los Angeles, newly married, filthy rich, but unpretentious and a lovely pair of English guys who were hilariously funny, down to earth and great company.

If I ever find the time I'll get all my photos sorted and loaded somewhere. I did go to a couple of iMovie workshops on board, so now I have yet another interest to pursue and may even produce some decent slideshows and movies...in a few years time.

My thoughts are with those affected by this awful disaster. It's humbling to realise how fortunate we have been to enjoy such an eventful trip and return home unscathed. It might even prevent me complaining about the Humbug hype...for a few days anyway.




© Copyright 2012 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765047-Perfect-Timing