*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765168-Chapter-7-or-Day-7-of-NaNoWriMo-2012-1722-words
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#765168 added November 15, 2012 at 12:09am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 7 or Day 7 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,722 words)
Chapter 7: K. C. goes to Gray Landscaping


K. C. smiled when he saw the address Miles Dragonslayer had given him. Number Eleven Star Light Court. That's Max Carter's house, he thought as he put the key and the paper in his shirt pocket. Max did ask me to drop by when I got settled, so I guess I'll get settled above his garage. He walked across the street to Gray Landscaping.

"May I help you," ask the bearded man behind the reception desk when K. C. walked into the office.

"Yes," he smiled, "I'm Kevin Chester Wainwright, I'm supposed to report here for a work assignment."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Wainwright, I'm Morris Johnson and I have your assignment right here." He picked up a time sheet and handed it to K. C. "I'd like you to report to the Baldwin address first thing in the morning and begin trimming the hedge around the house. All the equipment you need is already on the property."

"Any questions?"

"Yes, Sir," K. C. took out the paper containing the address. "I'm living at Number Eleven Star Light Court, where is the Baldwin place in relation to that address." He remembered a Katie Baldwin from his school days, but he could not remember where she lived.

"A couple of miles from there," the door opened and a gray haired man walked in. "But Sam," he nodded to the man who just walked in, "here can give you better directions. He also live at Number Eleven Star Light Court." He took the time sheet Sam handed him and gave the man another one. "Sam, your new assignment is the Applewhite estate, begin by raking the yard and then ask Miss Lydia or the maid what else they want done."

"Sam Long," the man said extending his hand to K. C. "Your new roommate."

"K. C. Wainwright," they shook hands, "nice to meet you, Sam."

"Sam," Morris said, "could you have a seat while I explain the rules to Mr. Wainwright." After Sam had sit down in a chair by the front window Morris turned back to K. C. "You report here once a week for a time sheet and a new assignment. At random intervals during the week, Morgan Johnson will visit the job site to check on the work, give specific instructions, or replace equipment.. In addition, your parole officer will visit the site as well. If you have any questions about the job, talk to Morgan. Good luck Mr. Wainwright."

Sam and K. C. left Gray Landscaping and turned east toward Star Light Court and the older section of town. As they walked, his memories of Dragonview slowly returned. The buildings on main street were all two story business and most were owned by the Applewhites. He noticed that most of the businesses had new paint and different names. The only business he remembered from his childhood was the bus station.

"Not much of a talker are you, K. C." Sam said as the turned onto Star Light Court.

"Sorry, Sam, I'm reminiscing," he laughed. "I was born and raised here in Dragonview. I was comparing my memories with the present."

"Has the city changed much?"

"It's grown and a lot of the businesses on main street have changed or moved locations. I remember the bus station, but I don't remember Gray Landscaping being next to it."

"It probably wasn't," they turned into the driveway of Number Eleven and headed for the back of the house. "I think Arnold Gray started the business about twenty years ago." Sam knocked on the back door and a short blond woman answered.

"Evening, Sam, is this our new tenant?"

"Yes, Mrs. Carter, this K. C. Wainwright."

"K. C. and I are old acquaintances, but I don't think he remembers me," she smiled as they entered the kitchen. "Do you K. C.?"

"Well," he stroked his two day old beard, "you do resemble Lena Calvin."

"I'm Lena's sister, Jo Lynn. Please sit down at the table and have something to eat." Then she placed a dish of peas and a meat loaf on the table, which already contained dishes of mashed potatoes and some bread.. "I'll let Max know you're here." She left the room.

"Mrs. Carter always makes sure we have a good supper after work," Sam said cutting the meatloaf.

K. C. helped himself to the food. I wonder, he thought, whatever happened to Lena. He had dated Lena before going to prison. He had stood Lena up the night he broke into the Applewhite house and he still wondered what Lena had wanted to tell him that night. She had not attended his trial and when he had sent her letters from prison, she never answered all though the letters were never returned, he continued to write until the week he was paroled..

"K. C.," said Max as he entered the kitchen. "It's nice to see you again, K. C."

"You too, Max."

Max left the house and then Jo Lynn, pouring herself a cup of coffee, sit down at the table. She watched K. C. for a few minutes and then she handed him a package of letters tied in a blue ribbon. They were addressed to him, in care of Mr. and Mrs. Max Carter.

"I forwarded all your letters to Lena in Central City, even the last one." Jo Lynne frowned. "She asked me to save them until you go out of prison."

"Understandable," he frowned. "I gather she hasn't answered the last letter yet."

"Not yet, but she will."

K. C. studied Jo Lynne's expression. He knew there was something she was not saying. Putting the letters into his backpack, he got up. "I think I'll go to bed now," he got up and left the kitchen. He climbed the stairs to the room above the garage and unlocked the door.

"Old girl friend," said Sam coming into the one room apartment.

"Yes," he smiled as he raised the letters to his nose. "Tell me, Sam, which bed is yours." K. C. inhaled the aroma of Lena's perfume.

"The one on the right."

K. C. went to his bed and placed the letters on the nightstand to his left. Then, picking up his backpack, he went into the toilet and turned on the shower.

Sam was asleep by the time, K. C. finished his shower. Placing the backpack at the foot of the bed he lay down on his back and stared at the ceiling. I wonder, he reached over and picked the letters up, why she didn't write me at the prison. Again he inhaled her perfume and then placed the letters in the top draw of the nightstand.

Sleep did not come easy, K. C. tossed and turned for an hour before going to sleep. When he finally did drift off he found himself walking through a dark maze. He could hear Lena calling him, but he could not find her or a way out of the maze. He woke with a started and stared at the ceiling for a few more minutes. Turning over he closed his eyes and drifted off into another dream in which he heard a baby crying.

K. C. awake to the sound of bacon sizzling in a skillet. Getting up, he unpacked his backpack and put his clothes in the empty dresser drawers and then got dressed.

"Tomorrow it's your turn to cook breakfast," said Sam placing a platter of bacon and fried eggs in the center of the table. "I hope you like your coffee strong." He poured them each a cup and sit down.

"How do I get to the Baldwin place," K. C. took two eggs and four slices of bacon from the platter.

"You don't know?"

"Sam, it's been over twenty-five years," he sipped his coffee. "The town has changed and... for the life of me, I can't remember where it's located if I ever knew. In fact, the only Baldwin I can remember is a Katie Baldwin from grade school."

"It's on the east side of the cemetery," Sam said and handed him a map.

"Oh," K. C. laughed, "that's why I didn't know where it was. I don't remember every going any farther then the cemetery." He frowned as he calculated the distance from his present location. "However, I think it's more then a couple of miles from here."

"It is!" Sam handed him a set of keys, "There is a bicycle and motorcycle behind the garage. You take the motorcycle, the helmet is on the handlebars, and I'll take the bicycle." He scratched his head, "And, K. C., be sure to wear the helmet because the Constable Parker will stop you otherwise."

"OK!" K. C. left the room and went downstairs, when he got to the motorcycle he found a lunch box setting on the seat with a note that read, "K. C., Welcome to the family and have a good day. Jo Lynne Carter."

He put the lunch in the saddlebags, buckled on the helmet, and got on the motorcycle. Just like riding a bicycle, he thought as he guided the motorcycle into the street. Once you learn to ride you never forget. An hour later, he was he turned the bike into the driveway of the Baldwin residence and drove through the open front gate.

"Morning," said an elderly bald headed man standing outside the garage. "You must be K. C. Wainwright, the new parolee."

"Yes, Sir, Mr. Baldwin," he got off the bike and parked it beside the garage. "Are the tools inside the garage?"

"Yes," Baldwin grinned show his toothless gums. "You don't remember me do you, K. C.?"

"Well, Sir," K. C. rubbed his chin and his two day old beard scratched his fingers. "I remember a Katie Baldwin from grade school. Are you one of her older brothers?"

"No, I'm her cousin." He studied the expression of K. C. face. "I'm supposed to trim the hedge. Is there anything else you would like me to do?"

"When you finish the hedge, could you take a look at the scarlet rose bush beside the house? It appears, to me, that it's dying."

"I'll do that, Sir." K. C. got the hedge trimming tools and headed for the front gate.





















© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765168-Chapter-7-or-Day-7-of-NaNoWriMo-2012-1722-words