*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765421
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#765421 added November 15, 2012 at 12:11am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 9 or Day 9 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,680 words)
Chapter 9: K. C. at trims Baldwin's hedge


K. C. picked up the hedge trimmer and hurried to the hedge. Removing the time sheet from his shirt pocket, he checked his watch and then entered the time. Next he instructions sheet, which was attached to his time sheet he read them carefully. The instructions were simple enough; apparently Baldwin did not want anything fancy. He wanted the top and sides even with no stray branches or leaves sticking out.

He begin on the west side of the entrance gate and worked slowly toward the corner of the yard. K. C.'s idea of a good job was not trimming hedges, but he needed to do a good job, so that he could put everyone off guard. He had worked hard at the National Prison to convince the parole board his years in prison had changed him. He had convinced them that he no longer wanted revenge on the Applewhites. Now he had to convince people in Dragonview that revenge was the last thing on his mind.

In order to get revenge for his father's death, at least that was what K. C. thought. He was sure that Luther Applewhite either had his father killed or that Luther had himself killed Chester Wainwright. K. C. was sure his father's body was buried somewhere on the Applewhite property. There was no doubt in his mind, that he would find his father's bones in one of the orchards or gardens, but to find it he needed access to the Applewhite property and the only way to get that was to work for Gray Landscaping.

The problem was convincing the Constable, his parole officer, and the management of Gray Landscaping that he no longer sought revenge. The speech he made at his trial did not help, even though Mile Dragonslayer had not been at the trial the speech was in the court records and easily accessed by any law enforcement officer. K. C. knew there had to be a way to put everyone's minds at ease, but he could not figure how.

When K. C. came to the south-west corner of the yard, he stopped and placed the hedge trimmer on the ground. He removed a red bandanna from his back pocket and wiped the sweat off his fore head. He then put the bandanna back in his pocket and glanced toward the house. He saw Baldwin coming toward him carrying a bottle of water..

"K. C.," said Baldwin handing him the bottle, "I noticed you didn't bring any water with you to the hedge and I thought you might be getting thirsty."

"Thank you, Mr. Baldwin," K. C. opened the bottle and took a large gulp. "It's getting a bit warm out here, but I think I'll be able to finish the hedge today."

"If you do finish trimming it, then you're the only one who can." He smiled as K. C. took another sip out of the bottle, "It takes most people two days to trim the entire hedge."

"I'll do my best, Mr. Baldwin."

"Please, call me Mort," he rubbed his chin. "K. C. you were raise in Dragonview, weren't you?"

"That's right Mort. Is there something you want to know about the town?"

"Why is everyone in town afraid of Lydia Applewhite?"

"People who make an Applewhite angry disappear and are never seen again." K. C. studied the expression on Mort's face. "Why do you ask?"

"Because two of Katie's brothers, Less and David, disappeared," he frowned. "She contacted me a few days after they disappeared, she had moved to the coast and she wanted me to sell the house. The problem was she wanted to sell it at a lose, so I told her I would move into the house."

"Did you talk to the Constable about the missing men?"

"Yes, he said they had probably left town and refused to even consider a missing persons report."

"Mort," K. C. knew he had an alley, "I gather you want to find your cousins or find out what happened to them."

"Yes, but I don't know where to begin. Do you have any ideas, K. C."

"I do in deed," he smiled. "The best place to begin looking is the Applewhite house, but it's difficult to break into the place without getting caught."

"Are you sure, K. C.?"

"Positive, Mort, because that's why I went to prison. Then after I got out on parole the first time, I was stupid enough to threaten Luther Applewhite before witnesses. That go me sent back to prison and my sentence doubled."

"So I have to be..."

"Correction, Mort," K. C. finished the water in the bottle, "we have to be careful when we find a way into the house." He looked up at the sun, "It's about noon, so I'll take a lunch break. After lunch I'll finish this side of the hedge and tomorrow we can begin making plans." Together they walked back to the house.

"Would you like to join me for lunch?" Mort ask.

"That..." K. C. frowned, "that might not be a good idea today. The foreman is supposed to drop by and we have to be careful if we're going to get into the Applewhite house. I wouldn't want anyone to became suspicious."

K. C. was just finishing lunch when Morgan turned into the driveway. K. C. put his lunch sack into the saddle bags of the motorcycle. The he ambled over to Morgan's car.

"You're Morgan Johnson, I presume."

"Yes."

"I was just going to finish the hedge on the south-west side of the yard." K. C. rubbed his chin as if thinking, "I believe that will take the rest of the afternoon. Also, Mr. Baldwin wants me to check the scarlet rose bush on the corner of the house. He thinks it's dying."

"Sound good to me, Mr. Wainwright," Morgan got out of the car. "I presume you started on the west side of the gate."

"Yes, Sir."

"I'll take a look at what you've trimmed so far," he thought a moment. "If the rose bush looks like it's dying to you, let Morris know so we can get someone out here to find out why."

"I'll do that, Sir."

K. C. returned to the hedge and picked up the trimmer. As he moved along the hedge he begin to whistle. Now that he had someone to help him get onto the Applewhite estate, trimming the hedge was not a boring job. Perhaps, he thought, after this is all over, I'll open my own landscaping business.

That night, when K. C. returned to the Carter house, Jo Lynn handed him a letter from Lena. "Do you want to join us in the kitchen or would you like to go up stairs and read your letters."

"I'd like to read the letters."

When he got to his room, he found sandwiches on the table and a full pot of coffee. He removed the letters from the bedside stand and sit down at the table. He poured a cup of coffee and then he opened the first letter and begin to read.

Dear K. C.

I know that you must be wondering why I did not send this letter to you in prison. I could not bear the thought of anyone besides you reading these words. I hope to receive more letters from you, but if you stop writing because you do not receive answers I will understand. I hope you continue to write, but whether or not you do I will still love you.

At first, I was angry with you for standing me up, but then I read your letter. You explained your need to find your father. I forgive you for standing me up. Even if you had not explained why, I would still forgive you because I love you.

The night you stood me up, I had something important to tell you. I wish I had told you earlier, because then you may have changed your mind and never broke into the Applewhite house. I would have preferred to tell you this in person. I planned to whisper it in your ear, while we were in the backseat of your car; however, that is not possible now.

K. C. I am pregnant. I am carrying your child. Right now, the only one who knows is Jo Lynn and she will keep my secret. I am going to Central City to have the child. I do not want to raise our child here in Dragonview. I do not want Dragonview listed on his or her birth certificate. I know it will be difficult to raise our child alone, but I will do it because I love you and I love our child.

Please forgive me for not telling you my secret earlier. Please forgive me for not writing you in prison.

All my love,
Lena

"I forgive you, Lean," he folded the letter and put it back in the envelope. "I love you, too."

Why, he thought as he ate one of the sandwiches. Didn't I wait until after our date to seek revenge? He was beginning to have second thoughts about continuing his quest for vengeance. No, he shook his head. Lena is in Central City. I'm stuck here until after my parole is up. I can avenge my father's death and then join Lena in central city. He poured himself another cup of coffee and then opened the second envelope.

As he removed the letter from the envelope a picture fell onto the floor. He picked the picture up, it was Lena holding a baby wrapped in a blue blanket. He turned the picture over and on the back was written Chester Kevin Wainwright-Carter. A son, he smiled. I have a son, but this doesn't change anything. I'm still in Dragonview, while Lena and my son are in Central City. He put the picture back in the envelope and then, between sips of coffee, read the letter. After finishing the letter, went to bed.





© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765421