*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765547-The-Transpador
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#765547 added November 11, 2012 at 9:08am
Restrictions: None
The Transpador
An obsolete mechanical ferry A mechanical Ferry


When my brother and I were kids, after WW2 and living in France, we frequently passed through Rochefort on our way to Royan. The beaches are beautiful there and we often camped out on the weekend.

Outside of Rochefort was a river that had a unique sort of ferry. It was called a transpador and was a mechanical contraption with towers and cables that transported cars, bikes and pedestrians from one bank to the other.

Before we left on our trip, Norman asked if I thought the Transpador would still be in operation. That perked my curiosity and I replied that we should make it a matter of top priority. On the way to Royan, there was a huge arching bridge and there below, dwarfed in comparison was the diminutive Transpador.

In the first picture you can see a model that shows how it worked. In the second is an actual photo of the mechanical device in operation. These days it only operates for bicycles and pedestrians but it still wheels and clanks from one bank to the other. I can imagine one on an interstate highway in US. It’s a stretch but I can. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/765547-The-Transpador