*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/766379
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1901355
This is my 2012 NaNoWriMo Novel
#766379 added November 22, 2012 at 10:52pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 20 or Day 20 of NaNoWriMo 2012 (1,706 words)
Chapter 20: Arnold Jr. Interviews Miss Lydia


Mary Ann sit at the breakfast table, rereading her sister-in-law's letter. The idea of troops stomping through Miss Lydia private garden sent chills up her spine. Then there was the chance that they could arrive on the day, her son was interviewing Miss Lydia. She did not want to tell Arnold that he could not interview Miss Lydia on the that afternoon, but she did not want to put him in danger either.

She got up and went into the setting room. In the corner, next to the bookcase was her husband's gun collection. Reaching on top of the cabinet she picked up the key and put it into the lock. She opened the gun case and studied the guns inside. Then, without removing any weapon, she closed cabinet and locked it. Then she put the key back on top and turned around.

"Were you thinking of arming yourself," Morgan stood in the doorway.

"For a few minutes, but then I decide it was a foolish idea," they went into the kitchen. "You know, Morgan, I don't know why I didn't haven't gotten rid of those things."

"Because," he sit down at the table. "They were your husbands and you're not ready to let go yet."

"Morgan, it's been four years and..."

"You'll let go when you're ready." He picked up the coffee pot and poured them more coffee. "Are you going to let Arnold interview Miss Lydia this afternoon?"

"Yes," she sighed. "There's no use worrying about something that may never happen. Besides I've lived in Dragonview long enough to know that what usually happens isn't the expected, but the unexpected." She took a sip of her coffee, "Morgan, do you think that Constable Parker would like Arnold's gun collection."

"Of course, he would," Morgan laughed. "Every time he comes over here he looks at those guns like a dragon in heat." He spread butter on his toast, "Are you going into the office today?"

"No, you and Morris can handle anything that comes up," she spread peach jam on her toast. "If anyone wants to see me tell them to make an appointment."

"You're the boss." he finished his coffee and left.

Arnold Jr. came home at noon, placed his backpack on his desk in the setting room. Then he removed a notebook and a pen, which he carried with him into the kitchen. Placing the items on table, he went to the refrigerator and poured himself a large glass of grape juice, and the sit down at the table.

"Well," said Mary Ann as she entered the kitchen. "Are you ready to go to Miss Lydia's?"

"As soon as I wash off this grape mustache," he finished his juice and went to the bathroom returning to the kitchen a few minutes later with a clean face. "I'm ready now," he picked up his notebook and pen.

An hour later they parked in front of the Applewhite house. Arnold Gray, Jr. got out first, checked to make sure he hand everything he needed for the interview and then waite for his mother to get out and lock the car. Arnold opened the gae for his mother and then followed her into the Applewhite front yard. Mary Ann smiled, she had never taught him to open a gate or a door for a woman, he had begun that about the time his father died. Mary Ann ring the doorbell and when the maid answered the went in.

"Miss Lydia is in the garden," Gena said, "please follow me." She lead Mary Ann and Arnold through the house and out the backdoor. As they walked through the garden to the gazebo, Mary Ann saw Jose weeding the herb patch. He appeared to be having difficulty getting up and down, as if the stooping and standing up was extremely painful.

"Welcome," said Lydia as they climbed the steps to the gazebo. "Please have a seat?" Then she turned to the maid, "Gena, would you remind Jose that it's lunch time and he needs to eat something?"

"Yes, Miss Lydia," the maid left the gazebo and went to where Jose was weeding. They talked for a few minutes and then, with Gena's help, Jose got up off the ground and followed her into the house.

"A stubborn man that Jose," Miss Lydia poured three glasses of sweet tea. "He should be recovering from that beat, but he refuses to say in bed or even to rest."

"I gather he hasn't told you who beat him or why," Mary Ann picked up a dragon cookie off one of the silver trays sitting on the table.

"No," Lydia sighed and then she turned to Arnold. "Shall we begin the interview, Mr. Gray?"

Arnold: Miss Lydia, what was the name of the Applewhite who founded Dragonview?

Miss Lydia: Fernando Justin Applewhite, he was my great great great grandfather.

Arnold: Miss Lydia, why did Fernando Justin Applewhite name this city Dragonview?

Miss Lydia: According to Grandma Selma he arrived in this valley at sunset. The first thing he saw when he turned around to watch the pass he had just descended was a bronze dragon rise from the crest of the pass. As he watch, the dragon flew above the valley. A few minutes later, a gold dragon joined the bronze and they matted in midair above the spot he was standing. As the dragons mated a bright golden apple fell from the mouth of the gold dragon and landed three feet away from great great great Grandpa Fernando That is when he decided to construct a settlement in this valley and to name it Dragonview.

As she spoke, Arnold's pen flowed across the pages of his notebook like a dragon flying through the air.

Arnold: Miss Lydia, why did Mr. Fernando Justin Applewhite leave his the town of his nativity?

Miss Lydia: He had a dream of a valley covered with white apple blossoms. When he looked down of the valley from Bronze Dragon Pass it was in the early spring, he saw the trees in the valley in bloom. There various colors blended beautifullily, but none of the blooms were white. When he descended the pass into the valley he realized that there was every kind of fruit tree except apples. He decided he would stay in the valley that night and move on the next day, but the dragons flying over changed his mind. At dawn the next morning, he planted one of the apple seeds he brought with him. That was the first apple tree in this valley. According to Grandma Selma, it is the center tree in the Applewhite private orchard.

Arnold: Miss Lydia, why did the first settlers leave part of the original forest only on the east side of town?

Miss Lydia: The forest is where Grandpa Fernando planted the seeds from the golden apple that fell from the dragon's mouth. Grandma Selma said all the apple trees in that section of the original forest are the trees that grew from the seeds of that apple. In the fall of that year, Grandpa Fernando is said to have discovered a clutch of dragon eggs near one of the apple seedlings. The two dragons were guarding the eggs so he remained at a safe distance. As he watched the eggs began to hatch. He remained until all the eggs hatched and the wings of the young dragons were dry enough for them to attempt flight. After all the eggs were hatch and the dragonlings could attempt flight, their parents guided them out of the valley and up the pass.

Arnold: Miss Lydia, what is the reason black roses indicate Dragonview's city limits?

Miss Lydia: According to Grandma Selma, dragons don't like the scent of black roses. So the roses are planted to prevent the dragons from entering Dragonview and frightening the population. Many of the citizen are afraid of dragons and believe the old myth that dragons hunt and eat people. However, the only time a dragon will eat people is when it's starving or cornered.

Arnold: What is the reason Dragonview grows only toward the north, south, and west?

Miss Lydia: Because dragons still lay their eggs in that forest near an apple tree. The forest is preserved for the dragons and their offspring. As long as the forest remains, Dragonview will prosper and grow. Since the dragons only lay their eggs in the section of the forest near the golden apple trees, construction in the east side of town would disturb the dragons egg clutches and if that happens then the dragons will find another place to lay their eggs and the town will die because of lack of their protection and blessings.

Arnold: Miss Lydia, during the dragon hunts did any dragon slayers hunt dragons here?

Miss Lydia: One dragon slayer attempted to hunt the dragons that come to the forest. Grandma Selma said that he went into the forest of an evening when he thought that he could sneak up on them. She said her mother found him the next day lying just inside the black rose boundary. He was alive, but incoherent. According to Grandma, it took him two or three months to recover from his ordeal. He never said what happened in the forest, when he left Dragonview he swore he would never hunt dragons again.

Arnold: Miss Lydia, is there anything else about Dragonview history that you would like me to know?

Miss Lydia: Only that if one sees a dragon of any color in the old forest, the original forest, and gives that dragon an apple that person is blessed with a long life and wealth. However, you must remember that not all the wealth that a person receive is in gold, silver, or soft currency. There are many different types of wealth, each individual must determine what he or she considers as wealth.

Arnold: Thank you for your time, Miss Lydia.

Miss Lydia: You're welcome, Mr. Gray. Please feel free to call on me at anytime and perhaps the next time you come you can bring Morgan and Maze with you. I understand that she has an extensive herb garden.
© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/766379