*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767173-Thats-the-Way-it-Was
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#767173 added November 28, 2012 at 11:07pm
Restrictions: None
That's the Way it Was
Dear Friends,

Well.... that ends the travel log. I know that many of my loyal readers suffered through the endless litany of pictures. I remember being invited in my younger days to see the home movies taken by friends on vacation. I tried to be polite but those sessions, except for the popcorn and brownies, always left me a bit non-pulsed

I don't know what I will do for an encore. I have written a lot of blogs and while I have yet to run out of ideas, some of my better ones have already been expressed. Was it Omar Khayam who wrote.... "The pen has writ and moved on." For some reason I really like that saying.

Tonight I think I'll talk a bit about characters. Most of you know that I write sensual prose (SP). The reason I do is not to tittilate myself, (I'm a bit old for that) but rather to try and get under their skin. What better way to do that than write SP?.*Bigsmile* Get it? Duh!

In my class we write vignettes of about one to three thousand words. This is an opportunity to both explore the possibilities of the story line and also the depth of the characters. At a 13+ classification we don't go into sensual prose although I expect that anyone visiting my port will see what I write.

Writing about your characters in an intimate setting reveals much about who they are. For example what are they really like when the do it. Do they talk to each other, are they amused, angry, loving... what is going on besides the flesh slapping. When we think about our spouses or significant others we know them to the core... the imagery of who they are and how they think is as vivid as it gets. So can a writer get to really know his characters by putting them in an SP setting. Even if you take these erotic vignettes and hide them under the bed a writer gets to know them at a deeply personal level. That is what the reader expects to see and if they do, they sense the character is real. The character is real to them because the character is real to the author, real as only an intimate knowledge can make them.

It is simple to edit out the "clutch and grab" if it isn't appropriate to the genre but when you do an amazing thing happens. The story remains animated, even when the language is toned down or deleted altogether. It is indelibly woven into the spiritual tapestry the author has wrought and the effect can't be entirely erased. What I'm saying is that it continues to animate the work. How cool is that?

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767173-Thats-the-Way-it-Was