*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/768323-A-Sad-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#768323 added December 12, 2012 at 11:40pm
Restrictions: None
A Sad Day
A Sad Day

Whoever created life could read and write DNA with a fluency that an educated human reads and writes. In order for humans to program the genome it will be necessary for them to be fluent in DNA sequencing as well as have the tools for reading it and writing it in a way that the results can be used to splice into existing sequences of the code. A language only seems daunting when it makes little to no sense and the advances in science are making some sense out of it.

Still, what is happening is at a microscopic level and how does a human go about making changes to a code that can hardly be seen with an electron microscope? The answer is that it will take the development of reading and writing technologies that can work at an extremely small threshold, a capability that doesn’t currently exist.

The code of a sequence of DNA will have to be brought to a level where it can be worked and then returned to a point where it can be executed.

Working Level: At the working level we are learning more every day but there is still much to unravel about the murky processes of life. Before we start mucking about in a half-assed sort of way we need to have a much clearer understanding. Before beginning an attempt to product-improve the human genome we need an extremely clear understanding of what is happening and where it is taking place. Once we start making changes that lead to offspring we are writing on the tablet of our existence. The changes that are wrought on an egg and sperm are permanent. These changes will be passed on for better or worse to our progeny. The only way to correct a mistake will be to destroy the human units that carry the amended genetic code. Thus, and I can’t emphasize it enough, science must have a thorough understanding of what all the code says and how it finds expression in the replication, and life cycle of the genome.

The Execution Level: Once this working level of understanding is achieved there will need to be a machine that takes the replacement code and pokes it into the chromosomes of an egg and sperm. The machine will have to be able read clearly the good sequences, identify the aberrant , and substitute the product-improved code for that which is seen as deficient.

Now how likely is it that working level understanding will be achieved before the Execution Level hardware is on hand? Not very I fear. The temptation will be too great for the necessary exercise of patience. Once the execution level capability is available, (Before the Working level understanding is achieved) somebody is going to set the ball rolling. When it comes to pass it will be a sad day for the Human Race.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/768323-A-Sad-Day