*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769005-Whistle-a-Happy-Tune
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#769005 added December 19, 2012 at 9:33am
Restrictions: None
Whistle a Happy Tune
Whistle a Happy Tune

“In the summertime, when all the trees and leaves are green, and the redbird sings, I’ll be true….

It snowed here yesterday. Wasn’t supposed to do that until today. Mark came over and cut the tops out of the walnut tree that broke off last year. I did some splitting and in the afternoon Linda and I went to see the “Hobbit.” It was a great movie and we saw it in 3-D.

Tolkien had the belief that ordinary people do amazing things; that a person can really make a difference. In Bilbo Baggins we see his premise come to life. It is a great story and sets the stage for Lord of the Rings.

Today I go to the doctor and get my annual check-up. Ever feel like your number is in the lotto and getting an OK for the next year is like hitting the jackpot? When I was younger I thought I was immortal. Vietnam knocked that foolish notion out of my head.

Last night I was flying my Quad-copter and it landed on this hairy throw rug made of synthetic fiber. It got into one of the rotors and when I tried to fix it, broke a fine wire off the miniature electric motor. I’ll be ordering some new parts today after the doctor’s visit.

There are altogether too many “I”s in this blog today. So far the count is at 10 and thats too many. In my writing I try and keep repetitive words to a minimum. Sometimes, however, its better just to bite the bullet rather than resort to elaborate workarounds. Pronouns are a good example. They can be invisible if a writer doesn’t get too carried away.

Linda baked cookies and fudge this weekend and they are death to a diet. I'm drawn to the plates in the kitchen by a relentless and agonizing compulsion. If that isn't enough, having the roads covered with snow is a convenient excuse not to exercise.

My dreams suck! Between dreams and Linda there is little chance I’ll ever get over enamored with myself. I see both as tethers that keep me firmly anchored to earth. They say if you don’t want to experience the lows, then don’t fly too close to the sun. Still if we fail to aspire then what else is there?

Perhaps I should whistle a happy tune.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769005-Whistle-a-Happy-Tune