*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769307-NASA
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#769307 added December 23, 2012 at 9:03am
Restrictions: None
NASA
NASA

I am not a detractor of The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). I am as excited as everyone else about the rover “Curiosity” and the discoveries this amazing robot might uncover.

Sometimes thought I get a bit paranoid and wonder how much their findings get filtered in the public interest. For example what if the rover found an obelisk with runes etched on it? Would we be told or would the finding have a veil of secrecy thrown over it and get classified “Close Hold?” Is there a small hand picked group who filters the data first and decides what will and won’t be released?

I remember the photo sequence that seemed to show a face on Mars and how we were subsequently told it was an optical illusion. There was a great deal of speculation at the time, not on just the face like object but the surrounding structures. Then there was another flyover and expectations were dashed… Sorry folks, what you saw was a rock that looked like a face… something you might see in the Mohave Desert if you flew over enough rocks. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Well if there weren’t filters in place before that incident you can bet there are now.

Still the most recent leak came over the possibility that Curiosity had found something that might indicate the presence of life. The Soviets hinted that we on the verge of an important discover, but alas, Sorry folks, what we meant to say is that we expect to learn more about Mars in the next two years.

Anyway you can bet there is a small hand picked group ,postured to be the first to see the data streams and make sure that anything that might be of public interest is filtered first until the NASA and government bureaucracies can decide what to release.

I know that scientists want to get the facts straight before they make announcements, but these agencies have the power of knowledge that “Gatekeepers” have always coveted. I hope they don’t take it personally to find out that many don’t expect them to be open with what they’re learning.

The priesthood always wanted to keep the “Unwashed” ignorant and in the dark, and it would be natural for the scientists to continue the long proud tradition. And if the scientists aren’t holding back the government has never been shy to act in the “best interests” of the people. Gatekeepers are not always trustworthy.

For example the Dead Sea Scrolls were in the possession of the Catholic Church for thirty years before they were deemed suitable for release. This seems a rather long time for assuring the material contained no revelations that might shake the core dogma of Christianity. Early on there were hints that these scrolls contained writings that would lead to a new understanding. When they were finally released, you can imagine the letdown in discovering there was nothing worthy of note. (Or was there?)

Scientist: Somebody with analytical skills (note the anal... part), socially challenged and short on common sense. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769307-NASA