*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770143-Parting-with-a-Sense
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#770143 added January 3, 2013 at 9:12am
Restrictions: None
Parting with a Sense
Parting With a Sense

Problem: Define the sense I would part with first.

General: Our creator gave us an array of senses to help deal with the day-to-day events of our lives.

Facts bearing on the problem: These senses are Sight, Hearing, Touch, Taste and smell.

Assumption: There is also a sixth that is sometimes referred to as a sense of Intuition. This last one is interesting indeed and the source of endless comment and speculation, however since its very existence is questionable I won’t include it as a possible answer. Anyway, it doesn’t bear directly on the problem.

Definition of Taste: The ability to sense the nature and perhaps the texture of substances that cross the plain of our lips. There is another connotation however, part 2, which refers to Appreciating Excellence.

Discussion: The question is, which of the senses would I surrender, faced with the need to do so. I am inclined to answer, The Sense of Taste, unless the definition is expanded to include part two. Hesiod, a contemporary of Homer, wrote words to the effect… “There are three types of people; Ones who create excellence, ones who know it when they see it and ones who can do neither. “ To these classifications he went on to say… “The Creators are the highest form, the Recognizers deserve honorable mention and the third are worthless.” So, from this it seems evident that the value of a sense rests in part on definition.

Further, if you could ask a dog the same question, a K9 might rank the five as smell, hearing, taste, touch and sight. So I guess it also depends on how we define ourselves.

Conclusion: I would part with my sense of taste as long as the definition was not expanded to include part 2. It might help me shed a few extra pounds. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770143-Parting-with-a-Sense