*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770301-Home-Again
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#770301 added January 4, 2013 at 6:33pm
Restrictions: None
Home Again
I've had my sister over for a few days, which made a pleasant break. We visited the hospital on Wednesday to see the patient, who although weak and still having a lot of problems was obviously more the man we know. There was talk of discharging him on Monday with daily district nurse visits, then going into hospital again in three to four weeks for reconstruction surgery.

Yesterday the plan changed. Still looking at discharge on Monday, but taking him back in on Thursday for the reconstruction. It seemed a little silly to me to send him home only to return a couple of days later, but we're all aware hospitals need beds.

So, my plan was to wave goodbye to sis today with a tear in my eye, have an early night tonight, then spend the weekend taking down humbug decorations and getting the house ready for his return. We already know it will take at least four months for him to be able to function at any level near to normality and I wanted to prepare the home and myself to cope with this scenario.

This morning plan C kicked in. With no consultation or consideration for family the hospital decided to send him home today. My stepdaughter had to drop plans to fetch him and I've had to do the best I can as regards shopping and practicalities for his return. He has appointments at the hospital, which is a forty mile round trip from where we live, on Monday and another on Thursday when they may or may not keep him in for reconstruction.

He looks very unwell and has dressings over the left side of his face and only sight in one eye at present. He has mounds of medication to take and is obviously frail and finding it difficult to get around the house. We have a winding staircase and only one loo upstairs, so I'm very concerned for his safety and ability to manage daily essentials in such a poor state of health. My nerves are shot, but then it isn't about me.

I have said many times our NHS is brilliant in emergencies, but once the dire circumstances are over, not so good. They obviously wanted him out before the weekend and all lines of communication have been lost. We were promised information sheets and advice lists once he was discharged, but have received nothing. So, we're still in the dark as to why this particular bug attacked him the way it did or what to do to keep him out of danger in the future.

I am really tired and need to go to bed, but dare not leave him up alone. I won't sleep anyway for fear of him falling in the night or needing some care. But, as predicted he'll do things his own way and not take any notice of anyone who tells him he needs to rest and do as he's told for once in his life. But leopards, spots and all that.

Thankfully, the infection has been squashed and he will recover, albeit over a long period of time. But despite the relief I have a feeling the first few months of 2013 are going to be very difficult. One day at a time...now the fun begins...watch this space.

© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770301-Home-Again