*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770727-Medical-Lecture
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#770727 added January 7, 2013 at 5:59am
Restrictions: None
Medical Lecture
Day three of having hubby back home and we're doing better than I anticipated, although it is early days yet. He has lost a lot of strength and his spatial awareness isn't too good with only one eye functioning at present. He is eating well and the district nurse calls daily to redress wounds. He's watching too much sport on TV of course, but the fact I'm so busy and now responsible for everything makes it easier for me to avoid it. I know this routine will be exhausting and will affect my social life, but it's still one day at a time.

Today he returns to the hospital for a check up, then again on Thursday regarding reconstruction. Our local hospital are interested in taking photographs and recording his case history as it is very unusual, but we're not sure on that front yet.

For those of you with knowledge or interest in medical science, the strain of infection goes by the title of 'Necrotising Fasciitis.' While emphasising it is extremely rare, it pays to be careful around people who have sore throats and other mild infections. The Streptococcus A bug usually manifests itself as a mild throat infection or skin rash and is easily treatable. It is contagious by air and touch, but not generally a major problem. We do not know why it affected hubby as it did and I hope at some stage someone will look into this. It appears however that the infection can enter the body at any point where there's an abrasion or even a small cut. Without sounding condescending it's a good idea to use an antibiotic cream around any cuts, no matter how small and of course to wash hands regularly. Anyone witnessing any strange swelling of a limb or the face should never hesitate to see a doctor immediately. Time is the key factor in treating this strain of infection.

Lecture over. We move forward slowly with gratitude. Today is our son's sixth wedding anniversary. Anyone who has been reading my blog over the years will maybe remember the traumatic and bizarre circumstances of his marriage. During those intervening years both Mey Ling and myself have lost both our parents and now my son and stepdaughter are lucky to still have their Dad. But despite all the dramas of their relationship and the ongoing problems, Paul and Mey Ling are still together and have two beautiful children. A minor miracle in some ways. Life sure can be tough, but even an old cynic like myself can always find reasons to be thankful.

© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/770727-Medical-Lecture