*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771235-One-Minute-Resolution
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1911693
Collection of Flash Fictions for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge and other stuff...
#771235 added January 10, 2013 at 10:00pm
Restrictions: None
One Minute Resolution
Tired of everyone thinking I'm weak. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I'm helpless or naive. Amber's New Year resolution was to clean and press 200-lbs for reps in one minute. She envisioned herself completing multiple reps, wiping the smirks from all those smug faces. She gripped the 200-lb axle wheel and mentally prepared herself, she had one minute. She had done a 200-lb dead lift easily just yesterday. How hard could it be?

She planted her feet, bent her knees, steadied her 150-lb frame and pulled. The lift to her chest was easy. Puffing a few times she managed a split jerk, pushing the weight above her head, one leg lunged forward while the other sailed backward. 50-seconds, she had to bring her feet together for the rep to count.

She should just stop here. She was alone, no spotter. Fear of failure and pride made for poor decisions. No point quitting now, she told herself resolutely. 40-seconds left.

Slowly she began to inch her front foot back, her back foot forward. Feet nearly lined up, her shaking arms jerked back a fraction. Slowly, she lost balance. Her eyes widened in horror as the weight pulled her back. The 200-lb wait crashed into the RV parked near the equipment. Another reason spotters were a good idea. 30-seconds, the minute no longer mattered.

Maybe there's no damage. That dream died as her eyes surveyed the large dents adorned along the motor home's siding. Terror sounded in Amber's ears so loud she didn't notice Mike before he was 6 inches from her face. Mike was the lifting coach and one of her best friends, at least he was a minute ago.

His crystal blue eyes bore into her almond brown ones. "You have one minute to explain this".

Word count: 298
© Copyright 2013 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771235-One-Minute-Resolution