*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771940-This-ones-about-the-word
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#771940 added January 26, 2013 at 9:58pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the word.
THE PROMPT: "Are social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc ...) an evolving form of communication and allow us to be more connected to those around us, or do they decrease communication skills, and distance us from "real" connections?"

'Sup y'all? Ya see here, the simple answer is yes to both. Allow me to perpitrate both causes.

It doesn't get much simpler for people to see what's up with other people's lives than Facebook, or any other social networking party page for that matter. You post it, friends see it. If they're inclined, they "like" it and comment and/or share. It's decidely a one-way communication tool, with an option for two-way. And if you don't want people to know what you've been up to, don't share it on the networking sites. Better yet, don't you be doin' the nasty things you do in the first place, and you'll have nothin' to hide. *Smirk*

Now, for the other side of this weird coin. It decreases communication skills on the user level only if you let it; that is, you're in charge of what you put out there, and if it's crap, expect people to call you out on it (if they don't ignore you completely). Also, I think far too often people fall into a trap of sorts by addressing a profile picture or an avatar rather than the soul on the other side of the monitor. This is sorta similar to hiding behind one's own "image", feeling as though they're invincible on message boards sitting behind the keyboard in their parents' basement trolling on suckas that are likely as well not to be who they seem. So while there is some communication, it's ingenuine at its root, which teeters the line of valid and invalid.

This is a fun discussion. I really could go either way with this. But I think I'm more comfortable in saying that for the most part, it opens up communication in ways many were unable to previously experience, and for the most part that's a win-win situation.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Awww yeah...communication, y'all!



VITAL STATS:

Just catching up...couldn't keep my two cents outta this one. Keep the change, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771940-This-ones-about-the-word