*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/772382-Himer-the-Dog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#772382 added January 21, 2013 at 8:56pm
Restrictions: None
Himer, the Dog
Today I had an appointment at the Marshfield Clinic that I’ve been dreading. It is something I call the “Nuclear Facial.” I spent much of my life out of doors and my skin shows it. My Dermatologist gave me an examination a couple of years ago and said I needed the “Facial” as a cancer preventative. Well last week he saw me again and said it was time I had another. For those who are not familiar with the treatment and have a perverse curiosity I will explain what it entails.

First they slather the areas to be treated with cream that makes you skin super heat sensitive. For me it was my face and forearms. Then you sit in the waiting room for two hours while it soaks in. The next phase is the bad part. They turn on the ultra-violet heat bulbs and stick your arms and face inside. First they do the arms and then the face. For me it meant two seventeen-minute sessions.

The forearms were not too bad. The “Facial” however, was very painful. Your face gets real hot and the skin seems to cook off your head. There is a fan blowing and the technicians spray your face with cold water. One was really good and kept talking nonstop, asking me all manner of questions to take my mind off the heat. She kept counting down the minutes, first twelve, then eight and finally two before it was over. Then I was told to stay indoors for a coupe of days, take Tylenol (Motrin) and keep my face well oiled with the creams they provided. It might hurt but I was amazed last time with how well it worked. I went in a scaly old man and came out handsome and debonair… *Bigsmile* Only kidding.

When we got home I took some food to the drop-off place for the wayward Lab (HIMER) I have been feeding. Something has been eating the food and the large footprints led me to believe it was him. Imagine my surprise to see him watching me from back in the woods as I set the food out. I whistled but he just sat motionless. I came home. It will drop to twelve below tonight but at least HIMER is getting plenty to eat. I hope my K-9 friend does all right.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/772382-Himer-the-Dog