*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773458-Blog-Prompt--From-the-Scream-killers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1634630
Brief writing exercises and thoughts on writing. Maybe the occasional personal musing.
#773458 added January 31, 2013 at 6:04pm
Restrictions: None
Blog Prompt: From the "Scream" killer(s).
Actually, it's from "Blogging Circle of Friends :

Name a movie that frightened you.

First, let's take care of the warning: This entry contains spoilers to a twelve year old movie.

When I saw this blog prompt, I was immediately reminded of my original experience of the movie Jeepers Creepers  . Originally, i could not even get through that movie. I must have tried watching it at least five different times -- thank goodness I owned it on DVD -- and stopped in the same place every time.

The scene that would do me in was the one where Justin Long's character (or was it Gina Phillips's character? I forget.) finds themselves wandering through the cave with all the bodies hanging there. I'd see that scene and I'd get instantly frightened. I'd be so frightened that I would stop the movie. I just couldn't get past it.

I tried watching the movie during the day even, but had the same results. Finally, one day I was hanging out with my friend, Peggy, and we were going to watch a movie. She mentioned that one, and I decided to give it a try with someone else in the room with me. So we sat down and watched the movie. We got to the scene in the cave, and it still creeped me out, but Peggy's presence made it possible for me to keep watching.

Then something interesting happened. We got to the part of the movie where I realized that the villain was a supernatural monster. You see, for some reason, I had assumed that this was a movie about a human killer, akin to the Hannibal Lecter movies. Once I realized that I was watching a movie about a supernatural monster, my fears evaporated. I've been able to watch the whole movie without any problems ever since. By myself. In a dark room. On a stormy night.

That's when I realized that I'm much more frightened by movies that could really happen. The idea that a real human could kill women and sew their skin into a body suit for himself creeps me out. The idea that some human could put people into situations where they have to attempt disgusting and nearly impossible things in order to have even just a shot at escaping almost inevitable death creeps me out. But supernatural undead creatures that collect body-parts from unsuspecting bystanders? No problem!

Weird, eh?

JarredH

Give me pen and paper and I shall create entire worlds and fill them with adventures.

© Copyright 2013 JarredH (UN: seithman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JarredH has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773458-Blog-Prompt--From-the-Scream-killers