*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773637-This-ones-about-the-weather
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#773637 added February 8, 2013 at 9:54pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the weather.
THE PROMPT: "Saturday is Ground Hog Day. What is your favorite saying, myth, legend, truism, ... about the weather."

What's goin' on? So, the "post" date for this is 2/1, but through the miracle of life known as "the internet", let the record state that I am actually writing this entry on 2/8. "How is that possible?" You might find yourself, asking...yourself, friends or neighbors. I can't tell you exactly, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

I for one find it rather cliche to be talking about the weather, even if I do catch myself doing it from time to time. Maybe it's because it's the only thing to talk about, or perhaps it's particularily noteworthy on a given day. But rare is the occasion that you'll see me post something weather-related via social media (I use the term "social media" because those sites aren't paying me to mention them by name). That's just so overplayed these days. Any idiot can stick a cameraphone out their window and show you how bad it's snowing. Amateurs! Be creative or something. Try, I implore you, to be witty. Even if you're not, at least you tried.

Now, about this prompt. One of the first weather-type sayings I remember from when I was a kid was "The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain". I'm not entirely sure where I first heard it. I know in the dining room we had an old typewriter with some old typing guidebooks, and it may have come from that. And that's over 30 years ago. I probably remembered it more because it's all rhymey and catchy. And I probably had to write it in a cursive writing lesson in 2nd grade (also over thirty years ago). And don't ask me why we had a typewriter in the dining room...it wasn't a big apartment and we ate in the kitchen.

But my most favorite saying regarding weather involves my hometown, and it's true. "Buffalo... don't like the weather? Wait five minutes and it'll change." You truly can experience all four seasons during a day in Western New York. You can wake up to a bright, sunny 60 degree morning, by midafternoon it can be rainy in the 40's, and there can be an inch of snow (or several) blowin' around by the time you go to bed. No, the "four seasons in a day" phenomenon doesn't happen often, but it does happen enough to make you appreciate how great the area can be (and the food is pretty amazing too *Wink*).

MUSICAL BREAK!!

When I first started working in drug stores, I'd hear this song all the time. I hated it. I thought it was the corniest song with the cheesiest lyrics. Then I heard it coming from my iPod once, not even realizing I put it there. It gave me a new appreciation for this song. Granted, it's not their best work, but still, it's ok.



VITAL STATS:

*Snow1* Yeah, and let the record also state than on 2/8 a ridiculous amount of snow fell in the northeast, which kept me inside all day and forced my absolute hatred of winter to become almost as cliche as talking about weather in the first place.

And that's all I have for tonight. No more half-started entries remain in this month's non-official "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, so I'm gonna get on with the rest of my evening, and I suggest you do the same. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773637-This-ones-about-the-weather