*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774252-This-ones-about-a-story
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#774252 added February 12, 2013 at 9:34pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about a story.
THE PROMPT: "All of us have been shaped by many stories. Tell about the story which affected you in some manner--positively or negatively."

Greetings folks. Hope it's a lot nicer wherever it is you're doing whatever it is you do than what it's doin' here. It hasn't stopped snowing since I woke up, but that's not why I'm here today. The prompt says we've been shaped by many stories; a fact I cannot dispute. But that's just a part of the man, myth and legend that is me. Stories written by others are but one small percentage of factors that have led me to become who I am, and ultimately those who will get to know me best will have done so through the stories I've created by having lived them first and then lived through their retelling. See what I did there?

Now, that's not to suggest I'm gonna blow off the prompt completely. Like many of you, I've read a decent enough amount of stories, and have probably forgotten most of them. What I'm really saying is that it's hard to pick just one. See, today I could feel influenced by one author's story, tomorrow it could be by the movie I watched the night before, or the last song I heard on the radio. I could draw this prompt 365 days of the year and probably have 365 different ways of mangling, owning, or avoiding it entirely.

But I'll be a good little fishy and play along properly to the prompt with the first story that at least comes to mind. Got it. Ok. It's On The Road by one of my favorite authors, Jack Kerouac. It's an easy choice because I heard it was being turned into a movie, and I'm in the middle of rereading it.

It's not the writing or the characters or even the story itself that I identify with, but more like the soul of it is what has drawn it to me. For years and years and years I had sworn up and down, to all that would (and wouldn't) listen, that I'd never leave Buffalo. I was as stuck to the area as it was within me. But life's funny sometimes. Circumstances happen. And last year, I up and left my hometown for good (or as close to good as can be). I had only a couch to sleep on for a night, a few clothes, a few bucks, and the name of my new hometown. That was it. Operating under so much uncertainty is not my preferred method of doing business, but I didn't have much choice. And so I went off.

I'm still trying to figure out how it all comes together, both between me and the book, and my life in general. I do feel a kinship at times with Sal Paradise, but sometimes no more than other poets, singers or leading roles. I guess this is just one example of many.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Hooray for free wi-fi working today! Boo for a crazy northeast snowstorm droppin' mad snows on my little town. But I guess if I were to pick a little song to break with at the moment, it'd be something reminiscent of On The Road. Bob Dylan comes to mind. So does Neil Young, or maybe Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I did actually watch the entire "Director's Cut" of Woodstock (the original one) the other night...all nearly four hours of it. Go ahead and treat yourself...anything Woodstock-ish goes.

VITAL STATS:

*Snow2* Like I said, it's snowing like crazy here in Cortland, and probably will through the night. The last forecast I saw called for two feet. Everytime I look out the window it just keeps comin' down harder.

*Pencil* At least I have one other entry from earlier in the week started, so I can kill a little time and make use of the wi-fi signal I'm actually getting today. *Delight*

And just like that another entry's in the book. Stay warm and safe kids. I'm gonna hit up a snack of some cheese and crackers, maybe cruise around WDC a little more, watch some Chappelle's Show and Mind Of Mencia on dvd, and take those pills that let me rest. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774252-This-ones-about-a-story