*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774749-This-ones-about-the-fat
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#774749 added February 13, 2013 at 2:45am
Restrictions: None
This one's about the fat.
THE PROMPT: "Hey Hey Hey.. It's FAT TUESDAY!!!!! Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday. Use the following words in a flash writing or poem: New Orleans, street car, beignet, mask."

What's happenin', folks? Fat Tuesday it is, isn't it? Alrightey then. (Having recently watched the movie Zack And Miri, I'm going to hold off on making jokes about celebrating certain days of the week... I don't wanna get too offensive in here.)

I have to confess that I'm not really into the whole Mardi Gras thing, which is weird being from Buffalo...we're known to use every excuse we can to party, and from what I've been told Buffalo does Mardi Gras pretty well. It's certainly no New Orleans, but then again where else is?

I also have to admit that this little area of the internet that is under my control is a decidely fiction-free zone. I think I made that clear a few hundred entries ago...ask Sister Mary how that discussion went down, because she blocked most of us for having too much common sense. I also have a hard time writing anything on command these days. I can do it, but I don't like to. I like to take my time and not work under pressure. I feel like I'm racing a clock when someone tells me what and how to write and what to include that goes beyond the basic measure of a prompt.

I mean this of course with no disrespect to SapphireRainee or her prompt. I think it's a great prompt actually; it's just one that I know I'm going to struggle with. I guess I'm thankful that this is an unofficial month in the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS. Unofficial months make it a little easier, believe it or not, to try and stretch out your writing a little bit and step out of any "comfort zones". And with no prize looming over your head, there's no attempts to mask any discrepancies with one's lack of knowledge regarding anything to do with the prompt. Or to put it another way that completely means nothing to the point I just raised, there's no need to worry about trimming the fat off an entry to make it fit into something more desired.

I'm getting away from the main issue here though. I didn't even know what a beignet was...I had to do a https://www.dictionary.com lookup just to realize publications had been running recipes for them in the last two weeks or so during not only the run-up to Mardi Gras, but also the Super Bowl (which was just held in NOLA). The Cortland Standard and The New York Times were only two such publications out of many, I'm sure. Up north, the tasty treats are called "doughnuts", but we don't put little plastic baby Jesuses (is that the correct plural form of Jesus?) in them...usually either jelly or cream if anything.

I wonder if I can come up with another paragraph that starts with some form of "I". I'm sure it's been done before. I can probably do it.

So, um, yeah. This wraps up my report on the Mardi Gras festivities here in Cortland. Not much going on from where I sit. So, ummm, be careful, stay safe, do that thing with your shirt to get beads, and watch out for random street cars if you've had too much fun.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Can't talk about New Orleans without throwing in a good tune. Although I'm at a loss for real NOLA beats, this will suffice.



VITAL STATS:

*Drbag* Big doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon. The future of my broken ankle hangs in the balance. Well, it's not quite hanging. But I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be talking about surgery to remove the screws relatively soon. Kinda hard not to think about it.

And I think that's where I'm gonna leave off tonight. I'm gonna tie up a few loose ends around here and hope that I get lucky when I head home...two straight nights of pretty much unbothered internet access might spoil me! One can hope. Anyway, y'all have a great evening, peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!



Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774749-This-ones-about-the-fat